Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/31 11:44:20 UTC

eBay Case Study and Synapse

Folks

I wanted to let you know of a recent case study we published around
eBay's use of the WSO2 ESB. The URL is here:
http://freo.me/nTUqu6

The WSO2 ESB is fundamentally based on Apache Synapse. 1.2billion
transactions a day (actually 2.4 if you count each request and
response!) go through the
Synapse ESB in just one customer.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: eBay Case Study and Synapse

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Awesome news and great achievements, I also went through [1]. Kudos
should go to all the contributors and WSO2 for convincing eBay to switch
to ESB (a.k.a Synapse).

I believe I can freely talk here since I do not consider myself as a
Synapse contributor. However, since I was there since the inception of
the project I witnessed the contributions from many different
individuals. IIRC Synapse is composed of many different Apache projects,
so I do not see the point of crediting only one project (of course
credit should go to NIO too). More importantly, when there are (were)
many contributors of the project, it is not good for health of the
project just to mention very few individuals.

[1]:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/infrastructure/traffic_management/231002969

Thanks,
Deepal

Fwd: eBay Case Study and Synapse

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Indika

I'm just forwarding your note to dev@synapse to ensure that your kind
words are also copied there. Having sat in on many calls, I think you
are too kind to include me in the list. I had trouble keeping up with
everyone else!

Paul

Additionally, people such as Dr. Sanjiva, Paul, Dr. Srinath, etc.,
who contributed from their knowledge and advice to resolve some tricky
issues should  also be credited for whatever success currently we have.

*A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame, a little
less than his share of the credit.* ~ Arnold H. Glasgow

Thanks,

Indika

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Fwd: eBay Case Study and Synapse

Posted by indika kumara <in...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Asankha

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Asankha

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Wearing my old Synapse Hat on again.., thats certainly good to hear!

When I first started working on a non-blocking HTTP transport [1] and
wrote the implementation based on HttpComponents [2] almost 4-5 years
ago, I didn't imagine that it would someday drive traffic at eBay!
Credit for this also goes to the Apache HttpCore/NIO project, and
especially to Oleg Kalnichevski who helped us immensely to get NHTTP
going in those early days

Getting back to the present from 4-5 years back .. The UltraESB shows
that much better performance levels can be easily achieved today with a
further improved NIO implementation utilizing Zero-Copy proxying [3] and
well designed and clean code. Now that means any further X times
improvement in performance would yield X times savings for a user. It
would be interesting to do a performance comparison..

asankha

[1] http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/LAQUqvIdo5WkJZM6uqoa
[2] http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/LAQUqwzWUNjYAtb3EsJT
[3]