Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Jerry Tan <je...@sun.com> on 2003/01/16 12:46:58 UTC

help about embedding of xindice

Hi, all.
I am a new bie of xindice.
I want to use xindice as local database for one java swing gui desktop
application.  when the application is running, another thread run
xindice database server inside it.

I dont need tomcat, and I need i18n support,

my question is that:
    1.which version of xindice I should choose?

    2. Is there any document about embedding?
I have checked the document of manual, guide in the website,
but I dont find any info about how to use it in embedding mode.

can anyone help me to answer my question?

Re: help about embedding of xindice

Posted by Jerry Tan <je...@sun.com>.
Mark J. Stang wrote:

>Jerry,
>You need the latest version from CVS.   As far as i18n support, many
>people are using
>Xindice with many languages.   Are you interested in some particular
>languages?

At first step, I dont need to use any other languages,
but in the long run, I want to use chinese , japan charaters.

so for stable reason, I will use xindice 1.0 as database,
then  in the future, I will upgrade xindice .

what is the plan of next release?

and what is the roadmap of xindice?

>There isn't a lot of published information on the embedded version.
>Several of
>us are using it.   So it is possible.   I think someone was putting
>together a document.
>
>Does anyone have one?   Or do I have to write one?
>
>HTH,
>
>Mark

Mark, if you write one and put it to website, it will be great.

Posted by "David J. Thomson" <dt...@eecs.tufts.edu>.

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Mark J. Stang wrote:

> David,
> Joan sent me this earlier..
>
> TO *SUPPRESS ALL* LOG MSGS:
> kluge-1: you could pipe stdout/stderr to 'dev/null' (win equiv = 'nul')
> kguge-2: (servlet) you could try pointing logger entries to dev/null
>
> TO CHANGE LOG LEVEL (pls-research):
> build.xml - chg jvmarg for org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.defaultlog
> to 'fatal' ('fatal' appears to be the mimimal log level available ..)
>
> runtime - set arg with -D switch
> (for example, look at the last 6-8 lines of $XINDICE_HOME/bin/xindice
> script.  Try changing LOGLEVEL from 'debug' to 'fatal')
>

> HTH,
>
> Mark

Thanks very much. I did see this, but it didn't seem to work in my case.
Because I've embedded it, I'm not sure if the kluges apply, but I don't
really want to pipe stdout to dev/null anyway. I still don't see why the
commons logging settings aren't being picked up.

It wasn't really that big of a deal after all, but more of a curiosity.
Besides, it only logs info when the database gets initialized, which I now
only do once. When I first did some prototyping, I was creating a new
database instance and collection each time, which was quite chatty.

Regardless, everything seems to be running really well with the embedded
version. As far as I can tell at this point, this product is truly
amazing. I'll work on documenting the embedded stuff soon.

Thanks to all,
Dave

Re: help about embedding of xindice

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.