Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jon Trowbridge <tr...@ximian.com> on 2001/07/09 02:37:46 UTC

Two problems w/ subversion

OK, now I can build it, but I've found a few glitches

(1) A minor problem.

The test scripts (basic-tests.py in particular) seem to require python
2.0.  On my machine (running debian Woody), "python" invokes python
1.5.2 and "python2" runs 2.0.  Thus things like basic-tests.py won't run
for me unless I manually run them from the command line with "python2
./basic-tests.py".

(2) A larger problem

svnadmin segfaults when I try to create a repository.  Here is a
backtrace

(gdb) run create /home/trow/svn-test-repos
Starting program: /home/trow/bin/svnadmin create
/home/trow/svn-test-repos

0x0 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0 in ?? ()
#1  0x804ad77 in cleanup_fs (fs=0x80736a4) at
subversion/libsvn_fs/fs.c:143
#2  0x804b572 in svn_fs_create_berkeley (fs=0x80736a4,
    path=0x7ffffa22 "/home/trow/svn-test-repos")
    at subversion/libsvn_fs/fs.c:436
#3  0x804a5f3 in main (argc=3, argv=0x7ffff8c4)
    at subversion/svnadmin/main.c:159

I'm using the db3 packages provided by debian.

-JT

Re: Two problems w/ subversion

Posted by Mo DeJong <md...@cygnus.com>.
On 17 Jul 2001, Karl Fogel wrote:

> If that's true, let's look at the same situation with your patch
> applied.  You claim ./configure would have given a warning.  Why would
> it do that?  What would that warning be based on?  As far as configure
> can tell, his system does have the correct db, so it shouldn't tell
> him to download the tarball, right?

Oh, I see what you mean. You are correct in that it would not
have caught this case since it would have searched the
system and found a "compatible" db install.

> I'm just confused by your claim that the patch would have helped Jon;
> and worried that perhaps this indicates there's something important
> about your patch that we're not understanding...

I meant that if he had compiled from the source in the db tree,
he would have never run into the problem in the first place.

With the default searching code in place, this would continue
to be a problem. Perhaps that is a good argument for not
using the default system searching code by default, but
that is an argument for another time.

cheers
Mo

Re: Two problems w/ subversion

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@collab.net>.
Mo DeJong <md...@cygnus.com> writes:
> Because, he would have run ./configure, it would have
> printed a warning, he would have pulled down the
> tar ball and then rerun configure. He could also rerun
> configure an pass in a --with-berkeley-db option,
> but the point of my patch is to avoid that. There
> is no modification to ./autogen.sh to require a db
> dir because that would make it hard to use with
> an installed version. That was in fact the reason
> given for rejecting the patch in a earlier form.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm still confused, though.  Sorry if I'm being dense, here's my
confusion:

Jon said (or implied, maybe?) that his Debian system's native db
*already* claimed to be the correct version, that is, the version our
configure script looks for.  However, something about the Debian
package was messed up, and so it still didn't work for him when he
actually ran Subversion.

That's my understanding of his post, anyway.

If that's true, let's look at the same situation with your patch
applied.  You claim ./configure would have given a warning.  Why would
it do that?  What would that warning be based on?  As far as configure
can tell, his system does have the correct db, so it shouldn't tell
him to download the tarball, right?

None of this is an argument against your patch, by the way.  I think
the patch implements a good goal, and we're going to examine it soon,
many apologies for the delay.

I'm just confused by your claim that the patch would have helped Jon;
and worried that perhaps this indicates there's something important
about your patch that we're not understanding...

Best,
-Karl

Re: Two problems w/ subversion

Posted by Mo DeJong <md...@cygnus.com>.
On 17 Jul 2001, Karl Fogel wrote:

> > The above problem would have been avoided if this patch had
> > been applied. Apr, neon, and expat already build out of the
> > src tree. Why not db?
>
> I don't see how this patch would have solved that problem.
>
> It would solve that problem if the person knew to not use their
> system's pre-installed db3 and instead had their own copy of the
> sources around.  But that's exactly what Jon Trowbridge didn't know.

This is the exact situation my patch seeks to avoid. In almost
every case, the version of db installed on the system
is going to be the wrong one. Some folks will want the
option of using the system installed version, but these
will most likely be folks putting together RPMs or DEBS
for "normal users".

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@collab.net>.

Posted by Mo DeJong <md...@cygnus.com>.

Posted by Jon Trowbridge <tr...@ximian.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@collab.net>.
ender <kt...@earthlink.net> writes:
> ok, i just built my first subversion server,  did some testing and realized
> that python2 IS required for the test cases to be portable ( i was testing
> importability before for syntax compatiblity). i'm sincerely sorry for any
> confusion i might have caused. the problem lies in that  python1.5.2's popen2
> call is unix only. on windows it doesn't exist.
>
> send the patch to /dev/null
>
> back to lurking

Hey, no problem -- thanks for the attempted patch anyway, and I hope
we'll get more patches from you in the future!

-Karl

Posted by ender <kt...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by ender <kt...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@collab.net>.

Posted by kapil thangavelu <kt...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by "ibej <brane@xbc.nu>" <Branko>.
Joe Orton wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:20:10AM +0200, Branko Hibej wrote:
>
>>Aargh. What if I only have python2 installed? And gen-make.py refers to
>>python. I'm screwed before I even get to configure.
>>
>>Well, bad luck. My hack goes back. :-)
>>

>You could install both again, then gen-make works, and configure picks
>up python2 correctly?
>
>Works for me...

Sure. I'm not implying we should try to fix gen-make.py, or anything.

Rather, package maintainers should behave nicely, to do this.

    $ ls -l python*
    .... python -> python2
    .... python1-> python1.5.3
    .... python1.5.3*
    .... python2 -> python2.0
    .... python2.0*

Emacs does that, Tcl does that, I don't see why Python couldn't do that.
I don't imagine there are many packages out there that require Python
1.5, but can't work quite well with Python 2.x.

Anyway, this is off-topic here.

    Brane

Re: Two problems w/ subversion

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@btconnect.com>.
On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:20:10AM +0200, Branko Hibej wrote:
> Aargh. What if I only have python2 installed? And gen-make.py refers to
> python. I'm screwed before I even get to configure.
>
> Well, bad luck. My hack goes back. :-)

You could install both again, then gen-make works, and configure picks
up python2 correctly?

Works for me...

joe

Re: Two problems w/ subversion

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

--
Brane �ibej
    home:   <br...@xbc.nu>             http://www.xbc.nu/brane/

Re: Two problems w/ subversion

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@collab.net>.
Joe Orton <jo...@btconnect.com> writes:
> > However, since some OS's are apparently installing Python 2.0 as
> > "python2", if we can make Subversion check for "python2" during the
> > configure-time search for a useable Python, and then substitute
> > "python2" in the appropriate places if it finds it, then things should
> > work correctly for more people.
> >
> > Any volunteers, preferably someone with a box that has both Pythons
> > installed?
>
> I've done it, commits coming up.

Thanks!  (That was fast!)

Re: Two problems w/ subversion

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@btconnect.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@collab.net>.
Thanks for the summary, Trent.

Some history here:

Subversion does require Python 2.0 for a reason: there's some code in
the test suite that uses a feature that wasn't available in 1.5.2.  I
frankly don't remember exactly what the issue was, I just remember
that Mike Sussman or Ben discovered that something didn't work with
pre-2.0 Pythons, did a little research, and found out that we'd made
use of a feature new in 2.0.  In other words, 2.0 turned out to be
backward-compatible but not forward-compatible with 1.5.2... as is
usually the case with languages, I suppose.

SOLUTION:

I doubt it's worth it to make the test suite run with 1.5.2 and 2.0,
since the 2.x series will probably be widespread fairly soon.

Posted by Trent Mick <tr...@ActiveState.com>.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On 10 Jul 2001, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> c> I'm not sure I'd call this a problem, really.  I mean, isn't the
> c> convention to have "python" a symlink to the latest greatest thing,
> c> and to invoke *older* versions by hand (with "python-1.5.2" or
> c> something)?
>
> Not under Linux.  All Red Hat based distributions that I know of have
> "python" as 1.5.2, as does Debian, and all use "python2" as the more
> recent version.

Are there incompatible differences between python 1 and 2 that mandate the
difference?  Are they significant, or small cleanups like the perl 4 vs 5
difference?

	Brian

Re: Two problems w/ subversion

Posted by Bryan O'Sullivan <bo...@serpentine.com>.
c> I'm not sure I'd call this a problem, really.  I mean, isn't the
c> convention to have "python" a symlink to the latest greatest thing,
c> and to invoke *older* versions by hand (with "python-1.5.2" or
c> something)?

Not under Linux.  All Red Hat based distributions that I know of have
"python" as 1.5.2, as does Debian, and all use "python2" as the more
recent version.

        <b

Re: Two problems w/ subversion

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Jon Trowbridge <tr...@ximian.com> writes:

> (1) A minor problem.
>
> The test scripts (basic-tests.py in particular) seem to require python
> 2.0.  On my machine (running debian Woody), "python" invokes python
> 1.5.2 and "python2" runs 2.0.  Thus things like basic-tests.py won't run
> for me unless I manually run them from the command line with "python2
> ./basic-tests.py".

I'm not sure I'd call this a problem, really.  I mean, isn't the
convention to have "python" a symlink to the latest greatest thing,
and to invoke *older* versions by hand (with "python-1.5.2" or
something)?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@collab.net>.
Jon Trowbridge <tr...@ximian.com> writes:
> (1) A minor problem.
>
> The test scripts (basic-tests.py in particular) seem to require python
> 2.0.  On my machine (running debian Woody), "python" invokes python
> 1.5.2 and "python2" runs 2.0.  Thus things like basic-tests.py won't run
> for me unless I manually run them from the command line with "python2
> ./basic-tests.py".

Hmmm.  Not really sure what a good fix for this would be; unless
there's some way to make autoconf discover python 2.0 on your machine
under the name "python2"?

I know you probably hate hearing this, but running them manually until
you upgrade python isn't the worst thing in the world (not as serious
as the autoconf 2.13 vs 2.50 issue, for example). :-) Unlike autoconf
and similar tools, languages don't generally have serious
backward-incompatibilities, so asking people to upgrade their pythons
seems like a reasonable thing.  Upgrading to python2 should break
nothing, and make it possible to run more code.

-K

> (2) A larger problem
>
> svnadmin segfaults when I try to create a repository.  Here is a
> backtrace

Working on it right now with Mike Pilato <cm...@collab.net>.
Thanks for the report!

-K