Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2006/05/03 10:30:10 UTC

[Vote] remove active/inactive concept

David Crossley wrote:
> The proposal addresses two separate issues:
>
> ------------------------
> A) Remove each mention of "Active" from guidelines.html
>
> So this will mean that the people who have binding votes
> are "PMC Members".
>
> Also change the definitions of "Unanimous consensus" and
> "2/3 majority" to stop saying "All voters with binding
> votes must vote" and instead refer to number of "votes cast".
>
> Add a note about the chair deciding whether a quorum
> has been reached.
>
> Add a note to reinforce that PMC members can be as active
> as they choose, with no pressure from the project.
> People can be quiet and speak up occasionally when they
> see a topic that motivates them enough to contribute
> to the discussion or to cast a vote.
>
> PMC members can still declare themselves "emeritus"
> if they so choose. Nicola Ken was an example. In such
> a case we notify the board and remove them from the
> list of PMC members.
>
> ------------------------
> B) Remove the separation of "active" committers from who.html
>
> There will be one list. The PMC members will be marked.
> Emeritus PMC members will be marked in a different way.
>
> There will be explanations of how to see who is "active"
> for those who care, e.g. search the mail archives; look
> at changes.html; etc.
>
> Add a note to explain the evolution of Forrest to
> a top-level project and hence the introduction of
> a PMC which did not include the old absent committers.
>
> ------------------------

Anyone can vote. It is good to hear the opinions of developers.
As usual the binding votes are those of PMC members.
Using "Consensus approval":
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#approvals
The vote will run for the normal one week and so finish at
midnight UTC on 2005-05-10
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?year=2006&month=05&day=11

Please vote on these two proposals:

A) Remove each mention of "Active" from guidelines.html

B) Remove the separation of "active" committers from who.html

-David

Re: [Vote] remove active/inactive concept

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.
I'm back--late?

I'm +0 on both.

I don't dare a +1 since I once removed myself from the active
list and David put me back there:
   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112372739418058&w=2
   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112369220218443&w=2

I'm glad and proud to be part of Forrest!

Johannes

David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>> The proposal addresses two separate issues:
>>
>> ------------------------
>> A) Remove each mention of "Active" from guidelines.html

+0

--
User Interface Design GmbH
Teinacher Str. 38, 71634 Ludwigsburg

Geschäftsstellen:
Teinacher Str. 38,  71634 Ludwigsburg
Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11, 81825 München
Friedrichsring 46,  68161 Mannheim

www.user-interface-tuning.de

Attraktivität von interaktiven Produkten messen mit
www.attrakdiff.de

Re: [Vote] remove active/inactive concept

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mié, 03-05-2006 a las 18:32 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > Please vote on these two proposals:
> >
> > A) Remove each mention of "Active" from guidelines.html

+1

> > B) Remove the separation of "active" committers from who.html

+1

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [Vote] remove active/inactive concept

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.
le 03/05/2006 10:45 Ross Gardler a écrit :
> David Crossley wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>> Please vote on these two proposals:
>>>
>>> A) Remove each mention of "Active" from guidelines.html
>
> +1
+1

>>> B) Remove the separation of "active" committers from who.html
>
> +1
+1,

Cyriaque,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On 5/3/06, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > The proposal addresses two separate issues:
> >
> > ------------------------
> > A) Remove each mention of "Active" from guidelines.html
> >
> > So this will mean that the people who have binding votes
> > are "PMC Members".
> >
> > Also change the definitions of "Unanimous consensus" and
> > "2/3 majority" to stop saying "All voters with binding
> > votes must vote" and instead refer to number of "votes cast".
> >
> > Add a note about the chair deciding whether a quorum
> > has been reached.
> >
> > Add a note to reinforce that PMC members can be as active
> > as they choose, with no pressure from the project.
> > People can be quiet and speak up occasionally when they
> > see a topic that motivates them enough to contribute
> > to the discussion or to cast a vote.
> >
> > PMC members can still declare themselves "emeritus"
> > if they so choose. Nicola Ken was an example. In such
> > a case we notify the board and remove them from the
> > list of PMC members.
> >
> > ------------------------
> > B) Remove the separation of "active" committers from who.html
> >
> > There will be one list. The PMC members will be marked.
> > Emeritus PMC members will be marked in a different way.
> >
> > There will be explanations of how to see who is "active"
> > for those who care, e.g. search the mail archives; look
> > at changes.html; etc.
> >
> > Add a note to explain the evolution of Forrest to
> > a top-level project and hence the introduction of
> > a PMC which did not include the old absent committers.
> >
> > ------------------------
>
> Anyone can vote. It is good to hear the opinions of developers.
> As usual the binding votes are those of PMC members.
> Using "Consensus approval":
> http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#approvals
> The vote will run for the normal one week and so finish at
> midnight UTC on 2005-05-10
> http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?year=2006&month=05&day=11
>
> Please vote on these two proposals:
>
> A) Remove each mention of "Active" from guidelines.html

+1

> B) Remove the separation of "active" committers from who.html

+1

--tim

Re: [Vote] remove active/inactive concept

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 12-05-2006 a las 09:15 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >>A) Remove each mention of "Active" from guidelines.html
> >>
> >>B) Remove the separation of "active" committers from who.html
> >

> > The vote period has finished, so here is the summary.
> >
> > There are 12 people listed on our PMC.
> > There were 8 +1 votes (including one non-binding)
> > and no -1 votes.
> >
> > I will take on the job of following through
> > to update the "guidelines" and "who" pages.
>
> David thank you for taking this to a conclusion.
>
> Ross

Yes, thank you very much.

salu2

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.
> Please vote on these two proposals:

> A) Remove each mention of "Active" from guidelines.html

+1

> B) Remove the separation of "active" committers from who.html

+1

--
Ferdinand Soethe

RE: [Vote] remove active/inactive concept

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
Thanks Everyone for your detailed explanations.

They have helped clarify a few things for me,
Importantly some of the clarifications have
Made me see more about 'The Apache Way' and
I understand this now more than ever.

I am sure the new Docs will help clarify things
More for others so these questions need not be
Asked again. Sorry for the late entry.

A) Remove each mention of "Active" from guidelines.html

+1 (non-binding)

> Does your -1 still stand, after the explanations from
> me and other PMC members? You would need to summarise
> the reasons.
>
> -David

I reverse that decision, thanks.

B) Remove the separation of "active" committers from who.html

+1 (non-binding)

Gav...

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:

> This vote mentions both PMC Members and Committers as though they
> Are separate entities. Please remind me, I thought it was decided
> (unanimously amongst those present) that there was no longer a
> Distinction

As far as I recall David also mentioned that there are some historic
cases of people being one but not the other so that we could not
easily remove that distinction.

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: [Vote] remove active/inactive concept

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Gav, i can see why confusion arises. ASF projects are
> each potentionally different. Some have committers
> and then after while invite them to join the PMC.
> Other projects, like Forrest, encourage all committers
> to be PMC members.

I searched for information to clarify the operation
of PMCs. Apart from the links that we have already
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#pmc
and the subsequent links at how-it-works.html#pmc
i found this pearler by Roy Fielding 22 Nov 2003:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200311.mbox/%3C7025D8A1-1D0F-11D8-8AF4-000393753936@apache.org%3E
The whole thread is good, but Roy's initial message
is very useful.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:
> This vote mentions both PMC Members and Committers as though they
> Are separate entities. Please remind me, I thought it was decided
> (unanimously amongst those present) that there was no longer a
> Distinction , you can not be a committer without being also a
> PMC Member. I did query the statement in /guidelines.html which
> Reads :-
>
> " ... However, there may be extraordinary cases where we want limited
> work-related commit access (not also a PMC member)... "
>
> IIRC the reply was that this is no longer the case.

That is still the case. It is possible that an individual requests that
they are not part of the PMC for personal reasons.

We also have the above sentence to allow us to have provision should an
"extraordinary case" emerge. But we have never had such a case.

> If this stands then there is more that needs doing to clarify this new
> Stance in electing Devs to become PMC Members (becoming committers as
> A consequence and vice-versa).
>
> Such as :-
>
> Update the Meritocracy of Roles and Responsibilities to remove
> Committer as though it was a separate role from PMC Member.

See above.

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
This vote mentions both PMC Members and Committers as though they
Are separate entities. Please remind me, I thought it was decided
(unanimously amongst those present) that there was no longer a
Distinction , you can not be a committer without being also a
PMC Member. I did query the statement in /guidelines.html which
Reads :-

" ... However, there may be extraordinary cases where we want limited
work-related commit access (not also a PMC member)... "

IIRC the reply was that this is no longer the case.

If this stands then there is more that needs doing to clarify this new
Stance in electing Devs to become PMC Members (becoming committers as
A consequence and vice-versa).

Such as :-

Update the Meritocracy of Roles and Responsibilities to remove
Committer as though it was a separate role from PMC Member.

Where it is sometimes mentioned 'PMC Member' and sometimes
Mentioned 'Committer' needs to be decided if using just
One of these terms throughout the documentation to avoid
Confusion.

More ...

PMC list. In other words, PMC Members have shown outstanding
Abilities in whatever contributions and have maintained this
Consistently over a long period of time in order to be
Recognised and eventually voted in. Of course you already
Know all this; I'm getting to the point...

Recapping what it states on the who.html page:-

" ... The Forrest Project operates on a meritocracy: the more you do, the
more responsibility you will obtain. This page lists all of the people who
have gone the extra mile and are Committers ... "

Ok, the point? Can I repeat a part of this vote proposal:-

" Add a note to reinforce that PMC members can be as active
as they choose, with no pressure from the project.
People can be quiet and speak up occasionally when they
see a topic that motivates them enough to contribute
to the discussion or to cast a vote. "

So, I am confused and concerned, someone makes all that effort to eventually
Become PMC Member whom you voted in BECAUSE OF THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS AND
EFFORT, then you say basically you don't care how much or how little they do
They can stay PMC Members until they themselves decide whether or not they
want to continue. If I misunderstood all of this and the 6 month rule still
Applies, please clarify for me, thanks. In the meantime, my vote on this
Section is based on what I understand so far.

> > > PMC members can still declare themselves "emeritus"
> > > if they so choose. Nicola Ken was an example. In such
> > > a case we notify the board and remove them from the
> > > list of PMC members.

See above, and to add, a Project needs continually active PMC members
Who can commit and apply time regularly - Once a month say I would
Consider minimum to be ok. Going back to the flip-side again, would you
Vote someone in a PMC Member who contributed once in a while when they
feel like it ?

Important decisions (i.e. that need Unanimous Consensus) need to be done
By ALL PMC Members, holidays and normal delays accounted for, if a PMC

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.