Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Nick Baumberger <nb...@yahoo.com> on 2008/08/24 22:34:32 UTC

Where is cocoon going ?

Dear Cocoon-ers,

Can somebody tell me where cocoon is heading after release 2.2 ? I did not follow the mailing list for around a year, being back now I am shocked by the recent announcement regarding cocoon 3 which seems to me a complete break with what has been achieved so far - or have I just missed something ?

Wading half a day through the more recent mail archive I couldn't realy trace a consensus discussion but found only alerting comments such as those from Grzegorz Kassowski in
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/74571

Quote: "When approaching ROA design we need to throw out continuations of course".

Does this whole discussion around ROA and RESTful design principles concern just blocks or the cocoon core ? Are these issues so essential that cocoon can't proceed without taking them into account, or is it just a programming hype of the new developers avantgard ?

Nick

Re: Where is cocoon going ?

Posted by Mark Lundquist <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 26, 2008, at 5:31 AM, Ken Starks wrote:

> And if so, in spite of the general consensus that 2.2 is the way
> forward, should I
> just stick to the 2.1.11 (which satisfies my current needs) until
> Corona catches up. ?

Hi Ken, I would say that there are only two reasons to ever upgrade.
You would upgrade (a) if you need specific features or bug fixes in a
subsequent release, or (b) to "amortize" your learning curve... i.e.
if you feel that someday you will be facing (a), you might not want to
wait until you are 5 releases behind the curve and have to catch up,
when you'd be like those guys that post here saying "Can somebody help
me upgrade my Cocoon 1.0.8 application?  I'm kinda worried about all
my XSP logicsheets and custom sitemap Actions..." and most of the
people on the list weren't even _born_ when Cocoon 1.0.8 was released
(kidding :-).  So alternatively, you could have a policy of taking
every upgrade no matter what — even though those point upgrades might
entail some work, and may also expose you to new bugs — even though
you don't get any immediate value out of it.

Or as someone has said (not in regard to software but it certainly
applies here as well): "when the pain of the status quo exceeds the
pain of change, then you change." :-)

So it's a judgement call.  But I would say that if you really feel
completely happy with 2.1.11, and 2.2 has nothing to offer you right
now, then... you should stay with 2.1.11.  Even if Corona/C3.x should
"catch up" someday... unless you feel at that point that it offers you
something you need/want.  But if you do upgrade to 2.2, then I think I
would consider going to the "stay up with the current release"
strategy, especially since in the 2.2 world a lot of upgrading is
covered by "update a bunch of Maven artifact version numbers in your
POM".

cheers & HTH,
—ml—

PS — FYI, I'm on the cusp of upgrading a whole slew of applications
built on Cocoon 2.1.8 up to 2.2.0.

Re: Where is cocoon going ?

Posted by Ken Starks <ke...@lampsacos.demon.co.uk>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Ken Starks <ke...@lampsacos.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> ...Aren't these objectives part of Cocoon 22 also ?  I though part of the
>> rationale for blocks was that
>> they are--beyond a small core-- optional and modular, you don't have to
>> have any you don't need.
>>
>> So building a 'lightweight' cocoon App would be part of Cocoon 22
>> already. Or are the core
>> dependencies of 2.2 already too heavy a footprint ?...
>>

> I think the main difference is that Corona (er...Cocoon 3) is much
> easier to embed and use from other frameworks, as its core has very
> few external dependencies.
>
> That's an important criteria for people who just want to use the nice
> Cocoon stuff (pipelines mostly, in my case) in other environments, as
> opposed to building apps completely on Cooon.
>
> -Bertrand

ah, 'Nice Cocoon Stuff'.

Well for me that is also pipelines mostly. but also:-
For the start of the pipeline, Read-access to a relational database, and
simple access to remote
services such as SOAP. I am not bothered much about write access to the
data-base in Cocoon.
At present I don't much use either aggregation or continuations,
although i have dabbled in
them and like them both.

It looks to me as if  'Virtuoso' might overtake Cocoon as a kind of
universal data-source
for the start of a pipeline. Possibly not, it looks like quite a hefty
bit of gear to have
on the same server as cocoon.
 I shall certainly check it out.  http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/
... but as the manual is a few _thousand_ pages, possibly not today.

In the pipeline, I also like i18n, and a smattering of sitemap logic.
At the end of the pipeline I shall want FOP, although I may also
out-source some serialization to something outside of cocoon.

Will Corona have that lot in its 'Nice Cocoon Stuff' ?

And if so, in spite of the general consensus that 2.2 is the way
forward, should I
just stick to the 2.1.11 (which satisfies my current needs) until
Corona catches up. ?

Yours sincerely,
Ken.

Re: Where is cocoon going ?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Where is cocoon going ?

Posted by Ken Starks <ke...@lampsacos.demon.co.uk>.
Mark Lundquist wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Nick Baumberger wrote:
>
>> Dear Cocoon-ers,
>>
>> Can somebody tell me where cocoon is heading after release 2.2 ? I
>> did not follow the mailing list for around a year, being back now I
>> am shocked by the recent announcement regarding cocoon 3 which seems
>> to me a complete break with what has been achieved so far - or have I
>> just missed something ?
>
> Anyway — over the last few years there have been many discussions as
> well as a couple of experiments in the directions of (a) making Cocoon
> more lightweight (e.g. fewer dependencies, smaller memory footprint
> and/or less configuration) and/or simpler (in design and/or usage),
> and/or (b) just recasting the core concepts of Cocoon (e.g. pipeline,
> sitemap etc.) into different forms to see what sort of system would
> result and what it would be like to use.

<snip>

Re: Where is cocoon going ?

Posted by Alfred Nathaniel <an...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 00:26 +0200, Reinhard Pötz wrote:

> I'm not sure if I understand what you want to know. There was a vote by
> the Cocoon PMC with the result that Corona will become Cocoon 3 (see
> http://cocoon.markmail.org/message/txav36lmvpkpbso4).

The vote was about whether Corona may be called Cocoon3.  Whether it
will become "the next big thing after Cocoon2.2" as the name suggests,
only time will tell.

Cheers, Alfred.

Re: Where is cocoon going ?

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by so...@apache.org.
> [...]
>  > waters even worse :-)
>
> Yes, that's a good summary of what happened.
>
>  Let me add and underline a few things:
>   . Cocoon 3 isn't a 1:1 replacement for Cocoon 2.2. It was developed
>    under the assumption that web development has changed
>    (http://www.indoqa.com/en/people/reinhard.poetz/blog/625)
>
>   . Cocoon 3 can be run in parallel with Cocoon 2.2. Thanks to the
>    Servlet-Service framework there is also a standardized contract
>    for the communication between the two 'worlds'.
>
>   . The Cocoon 3 pipelines module can be used from within any Java
>    environment because it doesn't have any dependencies except Commons
>    logging.
>
>    Some of us really tried to rewrite Cocoon 2.x to get to this point,
>    but gave up because of the complexity of this task.
>  HTH
>  Reinhard Pötz                           Managing Director, {Indoqa} GmbH

From your blog:
Now it's official: Corona, the reimplementation of Cocoon which is
currently available in the Cocoon whiteboard has been accepted by the
Cocoon PMC and will become Apache Cocoon 3, the next major version of
Cocoon!
AND
The first alpha release of Cocoon 3 is at the ready.

From Mark's summary:
[...]

solprovider

Re: Where is cocoon going ?

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Where is cocoon going ?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
On Aug 25, 2008, at 6:34 PM, Mark Lundquist wrote:

> So basically: the long and short of it is, there is this thing
> called Cocoon 3.0 and it's called that because the Cocoon developers
> weren't clever enough to think of a good name! :-)

I love it :) Great write up, Mark, and everything is correct :)

Vadim

RE: Cocoon 2.1.11 and XSLTC

Posted by Alfred Nathaniel <an...@apache.org>.
On 2008/08/29 at 09:32 "Laurent Medioni" <lm...@odyssey-group.com> wrote:

> is it reasonable to set the default xslt processor to XSLTC in
> cocoon.xconf ?
> It seams to provoke some weird side effects in my case*
> Would it be a *common* change of the standard configuration ?
> (or is this why the standard xconf does not propose it ;))

I can confirm that XSLTC can be used with Cocoon 2.1.x.  However, you
first have to check your stylesheets for XSLTC compatibility.  The XSLTC
engine and interpreted Xalan have little more in common than being part
of the same Apache project.

XSLTC flags a number of XSLT constructs are errors, which pass through
Xalan without problems.  One example is to call a non-existing template
name from a template which is never executed.

First you should use the command line tool "xalan -xsltc" to check that
your stylesheets compile without error, and then try again with Cocoon.

HTH, Alfred.

RE: Cocoon 2.1.11 and XSLTC

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
Maybe not so common... but if you want a response from the
developers - who are very active on this list - you may need to
post something more specific (preferably with error logs) than
"seams to provoke some weird side effects".

>>> On 2008/08/29 at 09:32, in message
<19...@mail4.oams.com>, "Laurent
Medioni" <lm...@odyssey-group.com> wrote:

Hi,
Should I transfer this question to the Cocoon developers list ?
I thought I could get some answers from user experiences* I cannot
believe everybody uses the default configuration ;)
Or is it so a dumb question* ? ;)
Thanks.

RE: Cocoon 2.1.11 and XSLTC

Posted by Laurent Medioni <lm...@odyssey-group.com>.
Hi,

________________________________

is it reasonable to set the default xslt processor to XSLTC in cocoon.xconf ?

It seams to provoke some weird side effects in my case...

Would it be a "common" change of the standard configuration ?

(or is this why the standard xconf does not propose it ;))

Thanks.

* This email and any files transmitted with it are CONFIDENTIAL and intended
* Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, or distribution of the material within
this email is strictly forbidden.
* Any views or opinions presented within this e-mail are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Odyssey Financial
Technologies SA unless otherwise specifically stated.
* An electronic message is not binding on its sender. Any message referring to
* If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.

Cocoon 2.1.11 and XSLTC

Re: Where is cocoon going ?

Posted by Mark Lundquist <lu...@gmail.com>.