Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Andy Benjamin <an...@hotmail.com> on 2003/04/09 01:32:51 UTC

Customization

Greetings all,

I have a question about design and personalization.  I noticed that the
weather portlet has the ability for the user to enter a city and it appears
that the city and state is stored past the session (which obviously means
that it must be persisted somewhere).  My question is if I want to do a
similar thing with a jsp based portlet do I have to create a table in the
database and then store that information manually or does Jetspeed have
hooks or some API that grabs all a user's personalized data and makes it
available to the portlet?  Thanks.

Andy

Re: Customization

Posted by Anandkumar Ayyachamy <an...@eself.com>.
check this class BaseJetspeedUser in the API docs to see if there are
some methods to
incorporate additional user properties.

Re: Customization

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 04:32  PM, Andy Benjamin wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I have a question about design and personalization.  I noticed that
> the weather portlet has the ability for the user to enter a city and
> it appears that the city and state is stored past the session (which
> obviously means that it must be persisted somewhere).  My question is
> if I want to do a similar thing with a jsp based portlet do I have to
> create a table in the database and then store that information
> manually or does Jetspeed have hooks or some API that grabs all a
> user's personalized data and makes it available to the portlet?
> Thanks.

Take a look at the Weather Portlet's source code, in the WeatherAction:

     public void doUpdate(RunData data, Context context)
     {
         String city = (String)
data.getParameters().getString("weather_city");
         String state = (String)
data.getParameters().getString("weather_state");
         String style = (String)
data.getParameters().getString("weather_style");
         String station = (String)
data.getParameters().getString("weather_station");

         String cityInfo = getCityInfo(city, state, station);
         if (cityInfo != null)
         {
             VelocityPortlet portlet = (VelocityPortlet)
context.get("portlet");
             context.put("weather_city_info", cityInfo);
             portlet.setAttribute("weather_city_info", cityInfo, data);
      <-------------- this will persist the attribute to PSML
             if (style == null || style.equals(""))
             {
                 style = "infobox";
             }
             context.put("weather_style", style);
             portlet.setAttribute("weather_style", style, data);
         }
     }

Similarly, you can get the attribute from PSML

         String style =
portlet.getAttribute("weather_style",null,rundata);

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software