Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tasha <te...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/05 19:42:58 UTC

Multiple Repositories: checkout of one and checkin to another

I was wondering if it is possible to set up multiple repositories with subversion in the following manner:

  A master repository that one group is making changes to and group 2 only checks things out of (never checks things into)

  A second repository for group 2 to check things into, but group 2 people are able to switch to the master repository at any time to check stuff out.

I searched the web and the discussion boards but couldn't find information on such a setup.

Re: Multiple Repositories: checkout of one and checkin to another

Posted by ru...@vshift.com.
I believe what you're looking for are called "branches".

Russ
Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Tasha wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies!  Let me attempt to clarify:
>
> The master repository is owned and operated by group 1 and group 2 is only allowed to checkout the code.  Group 2 wants to be able to check their changes in somewhere and share those changes amongst themselves.
>
> I guess I'm just asking if it's possible to set up this 2nd repository and checkin the original code plus some modifications, and if it would work to do and svn switch to go back to the original repository to take any new changes (and then switch back to the 2nd repository).

No, there is no handy way to maintain history in separate repositories.
   The best scenario would be if group 1 would create a branch copy and
give group 2 write access.  This would permit changes in the branch copy
that did not affect the group 1 copy, yet changes/updates could be
easily merged.

Otherwise you have to follow the 'vendor drop' scenario to put snapshots
of code from group 1 into the group 2 repository and prepare diffs that
someone in group 1 could apply if you ever want to send changes back.

There are several tools to tie subversion to a remote-but-not-subversion
system, like svk, or git-svn.  I'm not sure if the git tools are
sufficiently usable now to make the latter a good choice or not.
Conceptually, it pulls a copy from a subversion target which you branch
for your changes and you can subsequently pull updates from the
subversion side or push your changes back (if you had write access) but
locally you'd be using git with your branch copy.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

RE: Multiple Repositories: checkout of one and checkin to another

Posted by Tasha <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Tasha!

> I was wondering if it is possible to set up multiple repositories with subversion in the following manner:

>   A master repository that one group is making changes to and group 2 only checks things out of (never checks things into)

>   A second repository for group 2 to check things into, but group 2 people are able to switch to the master repository at any time to check stuff out.

> I searched the web and the discussion boards but couldn't find information on such a setup.

I'm failing to see why do you linking these 2 things.
As you describing it, they are completely separate repos, so you can just have
two and set proper access rights on them.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Multiple Repositories: checkout of one and checkin to another

Posted by ru...@vshift.com.
Another solution of course would be to use git instead.

Russ

Posted by Michael Diers <md...@elego.de>.
Tasha wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to set up multiple repositories
> with subversion in the following manner:
>
> A master repository that one group is making changes to and group 2
> only checks things out of (never checks things into)

You can keep a group of users from committing to a repository with
"path-based authorization".

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.serverconfig.pathbasedauthz.html

> A second repository for group 2 to check things into, but group 2
> people are able to switch to the master repository at any time to
> check stuff out.

Why do require a separate repository for group 2? What problem are you
trying to solve?

--
Michael Diers, elego Software Solutions GmbH, http://www.elego.de

RE: Multiple Repositories: checkout of one and checkin to another

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> I was wondering if it is possible to set up multiple repositories with
> subversion in the following manner:
>
>   A master repository that one group is making changes to and group 2
> only checks things out of (never checks things into)
>
>   A second repository for group 2 to check things into, but group 2
> people are able to switch to the master repository at any time to check
> stuff out.
>
> I searched the web and the discussion boards but couldn't find
> information on such a setup.

You can certainly create two repositories and give different people different rights to each one. However, if you are going to have the SAME data in both of them then just use on repository and grant access rights accordingly based on repository paths.

BOb