Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Guillaume Sauthier <Gu...@objectweb.org> on 2005/08/11 14:25:20 UTC

[Axis2][jaxws] Up to date API ?

Hi Venkat

It appears that the jaxws2.0 API sources in the scratch area are not up
to date.

The latest JAX-WS2.0 draft has bring a lot of change along with the
renaming of the spec :
package moved from javax.xml.rpc to javax.xml.ws
JAXRPCException renamed to WebServiceException
JAXRPCContext deleted and replaced by a simple Map
Call interface had disapeared !
Some annotations has been added some other removed

I think we shouldn't start implementing jaxws until the api sources are
updated.
What do you think ?

Cheers
Guillaume

PS: Is there some (legal?) constraints for API sources implementation ?
Can we copy/paste javadoc comments?

Re: [Axis2][jaxws] Up to date API ?

Posted by Venkat Reddy <vr...@gmail.com>.
btw, we have started with PDF docs on API, rather than the Java
sources :-) so there was no question of copying the API sources. It
wasn't too difficult.

As you may have noticied, the licence is a mixed Thirdparty license -
includes licenses from Apache and others (including a Sun employee :-)

- venkat

Re: [Axis2][jaxws] Up to date API ?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/11/05, Venkat Reddy <vr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/11/05, Guillaume Sauthier <Gu...@objectweb.org> wrote:
> > Venkat Reddy wrote:
> >
> > >Yep. We are looking at it. We haven't gone too far with
> > >implementation, and we have other things to worry about - JAXB
> > >extension for Axis2, for instance.
> > >
> > Yep
> > is someone planning to do a JAXB2 impl ?
> > Can't we rely only on the JAXB API ?
> > I haven't looked this part in depth
>
> I'm not ware of any ongoing efforts to implement JAXB2 yet. Apache
> JaxMe is yet to implement JAXB 1.0 fully, from what I heard.

JAXB 1.0 is a big specification and JAXB 2.0 even bigger. it's also
not really something that you can just dip into. JaxMe is short of
developers. more hands would be needed over at JaxMe for a realistic
chance of implementing JAXB 2.0 any time soon. if there are any people
out there who fancy volunteering, 1.0 isn't looking as far off as it
once did so now's a good time to get involved.

- robert

Re: [Axis2][jaxws] Up to date API ?

Posted by Venkat Reddy <vr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/11/05, Guillaume Sauthier <Gu...@objectweb.org> wrote:
> Venkat Reddy wrote:
>
> >Yep. We are looking at it. We haven't gone too far with
> >implementation, and we have other things to worry about - JAXB
> >extension for Axis2, for instance.
> >
> Yep
> is someone planning to do a JAXB2 impl ?
> Can't we rely only on the JAXB API ?
> I haven't looked this part in depth

I'm not ware of any ongoing efforts to implement JAXB2 yet. Apache
JaxMe is yet to implement JAXB 1.0 fully, from what I heard. Currently
we are trying to write a JAXB extension for Axis2 databinding that
uses JAXB-RI.

- venkat

Re: [Axis2][jaxws] Up to date API ?

Posted by Guillaume Sauthier <Gu...@objectweb.org>.
Venkat Reddy wrote:

>Yep. We are looking at it. We haven't gone too far with
>implementation, and we have other things to worry about - JAXB
>extension for Axis2, for instance.

Yep
is someone planning to do a JAXB2 impl ?
Can't we rely only on the JAXB API ?
I haven't looked this part in depth

> Yes, there are risks to evolve
>implementation alongwith API, but there is pretty good amount of reuse
>and i think its worth the risk.

The point was just that the latest jaxws draft has bring *a lot* of
changes (not only some method additions, ...).
Maybe that's the good time to update the API, before the impl is too
tightly coupled to the API ...
Just my 2c ;)

>Guillame, are you also looking into this stuff for JonAS?

Yes, sure I can give a hand :)

Guillaume

Re: [Axis2][jaxws] Up to date API ?

Posted by Venkat Reddy <vr...@gmail.com>.
Yep. We are looking at it. We haven't gone too far with
implementation, and we have other things to worry about - JAXB
extension for Axis2, for instance. Yes, there are risks to evolve