Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by "Wahrmann, Helmut" <he...@rsa.com> on 2018/02/12 09:16:52 UTC

Store password for config safely?

Hi,

Do we have a way of storing a password safely, i.e. not in clear text?
When e.g. an Elasticsearch cluster is protected by X-Pack Security, I need to specify a userid / password when connecting.
The userid / password could be specified in the config, but then the password would be available in readable form.

Do we have other sinks or sources, where we are dealing with passwords and were a suitable method exists?

best regards,

Helmut

Re: Store password for config safely?

Posted by Ferenc Szabo <sz...@apache.org>.
Hi Helmut,

here is the documentation part of the PR:
https://github.com/szaboferee/flume/blob/fa13593baa06c9d770a21fc970110e0c9abf2ef8/flume-ng-doc/sphinx/FlumeUserGuide.rst#configuration-filters

it is basically a variable substitution where the value comes from an
external source.
the PR contains 3 implementations to have a few to start with:
- Environment variable ( there was already another method to use env vars,
however, I figured it would be nice to have it in the new format to be
consistent)
- External Process where you can call a command that returns the value
- Hadoop credential store API where you can configure credential providers
documented here:
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/CredentialProviderAPI.html#Provider_Types

feel free to review it and give feedback if You like.

Best regards,
Ferenc

Posted by "Wahrmann, Helmut" <he...@rsa.com>.

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.