Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> on 2006/04/29 01:54:14 UTC

Re: configuration dependencies

Joe,
    Thanks! Sending it to the list..

--- Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> [...]
> focused on making changes and validating dependencies to remove
> unnecessary items from inclusion in the little-G assembly.   So I'm
> fairly sure there are still plenty of bogus geronimo.dependencies
> there too.
>
> Yes, with the M2 transitive dependencies we may very well be able to
> build and bad things could happen because of a missing
> geronimo.dependency when you attempt to run the server.  However, I
> consider this no different than today where you must manually add
> both.
>   It's still very possible to add one and not the other with the
> result
> being a server that cannot start (in fact I just did it this morning
> on
> my test machine).   However, I think this typically speaks more to a
> problem in the building of the configuration rather than the building
> of
> the assembly.  External dependencies by configuration must be added
> the verified/added to the assemblies when the configurations are
> added
> to the assemblies.
>

> Joe
>

> anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> > Joe,
> >    Thanks. I was trying to understand the process of assembly. so I
> did
> > the following :
> > 1. checkout ONLY top level dir, /etc and /assemblies.
> > 2. cd j2ee-tomcat-server
> > 3. maven
> >     I think I should be able to do this without building (modules,
> > configs, apps) anything else. It worked fine until I got to
> > g/javamail/../car. A jar was missing.
> >     Now why would someone in the right mind do that... It is for
> M2. As
> > you said downloading everything is automatic in m2, Trying to
> prevent
> > one dependency is a nightmare. It will be quite a challenge to find
> > equivalent of g.reference, g.import and g.dependency using only
> > 'provided' and 'exclude' and arrive at the same list as m1.
> >     You have answered my question that the javamail-transport..jar
> is
> > needed for j2ee-tomcat-server. So if it gets added by M2 it will
> not be
> > a bad thing!
> >         I built the server using above 3 step today, the error
> message
> > is gone. But this jar is not in GERONIMO_HOME/repository/.. When I
> > start this server bad things will happen!
> >      A similar situation is with remote-deploy-tomcat../car. it
> needs
> > remote-deploy-tomcat..jar but j2ee-tomcat-server does not down load
> it,
> > It depends on the fact that someone will build the configs before
> doing
> > the assembly.
> >      The remote-deploy-tomcat config needs jetty-deployer and hence

...........<snip>

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: configuration dependencies

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Joe,
   Thanks! More inline..

--- Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Anita,
>
> Sorry for the long delay ... had queued this up to look at later and
> later finally arrived.  :-)
>
> On the first change we should probably remove unnecessary
> dependencies
> such as jetty in rmi-naming and system-database.  I'm sure there are
> plenty more.
>
> I'll defer to Aaron on the way versions for dependencies are
> specified
> in the console geronimo-plugin.xml.  It seems like the best approach
> is
> to omit the version if possible as with many of the  other
> dependencies
> listed.   My guess is that there must have been multiple versions
> available in the system for activemq and some other modules where
> they
> are "hard coded".  This may be resolved by now and we might be able
> omit the activemq version entirely.
>
> Can you describe the second patch some more?  What is the goal?  I
> recall that you were trying to build the assemblies without building
> the
> configurations (by just downloading the plugins).  This would provide
> faster "build" (really assembly creation) if you had no need to build
>
> any of the contents of any of the configurations.  However, I'm not
> certain that is a common case.
     The main idea was that if a configuration needs a jar or a war, it
should specify it as a dependency (regular), It should not depend on
the fact that it was already put in the local maven repository by
earlier operations. This would not be an issue if we were allowed to
use only 'maven new' and not 'maven new4'. However considering how many
people would care for that, it is not important. Dain also suggested
the same.

Thanks
Anita

> Joe
>

> anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> > David J and Joe,
> >    I am attaching two patches:
> >     The first one configs.patch removes jetty from rmi-naming and
> > system-database configurations. The
> > console-tomcat/..geronimo-plugin.xml is using

<dependency>activemq/activemq-gbean-management/3.2.4-SNAPSHOT/jar</dependency>

=== message truncated ===

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: configuration dependencies

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Anita,

Sorry for the long delay ... had queued this up to look at later and
later finally arrived.  :-)

On the first change we should probably remove unnecessary dependencies
such as jetty in rmi-naming and system-database.  I'm sure there are
plenty more.

I'll defer to Aaron on the way versions for dependencies are specified
in the console geronimo-plugin.xml.  It seems like the best approach is
to omit the version if possible as with many of the  other dependencies
listed.   My guess is that there must have been multiple versions
available in the system for activemq and some other modules where they
are "hard coded".  This may be resolved by now and we might be able to
omit the activemq version entirely.

Can you describe the second patch some more?  What is the goal?  I
recall that you were trying to build the assemblies without building the
configurations (by just downloading the plugins).  This would provide a

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot