Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/28 07:50:40 UTC

NIFI-271 / refactored parent / checkstyle / rat / findbugs

Hello All,

I believe NIFI-271 [1] is now resolved.  In it we:

1) completed the parent DRY refactoring identified by Benson a while ago

2) introduced checkstyle which is always running now.  Refactored code
and cleaned up 10s of thousands of violations.  This should help with
whitespace and other consistency issues that made reviews tougher.
Might be some IDE lessons learned folks need to share.

3) cleaned up RAT logic and pushed special cases to their specific
modules.  I'd like RAT to always run but we had to keep it in a
profile because it made build times way too long on some platforms.
If you want to run this just add '-Pcheck-licenses' when building.

4) Introduced a profile for convenient execution of findbugs.  Just
add '-Pfindbugs' when building. There are many outstanding issues so
it can't be made mandatory yet but we should work in that direction.
We can add exclusions/filters for violations we disagree with in a
module specific manner.

So to get up to date on the latest goodness:

git checkout develop
git pull
git clean -ffd
cd nifi-parent
mvn clean install
cd ../nifi-nar-maven-plugin
mvn clean install
cd ../nifi
mvn -T C1 clean install

Please advise if you run into any trouble.

Thanks
Joe

Re: NIFI-271 / refactored parent / checkstyle / rat / findbugs

Posted by Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Joe. I'll be putting together another release in just a bit.

Thanks
-Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
All,

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.
Brandon,

Posted by Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Brandon,

I would vote yes, we will want the Eclipse formatter on the dev site. I
also have several Eclipse Code Templates that make writing processors
much easier that I would want to put there. Maybe some sort of
"Developer Resources" page.

Thanks
-Mark

Posted by BRANDON DEVRIES <br...@gmail.com>.
All,

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-568 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-568>

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.
I think the creation of the IDE profiles is an important one to minimize
impedance as much as possible in getting contributions.

We should have profiles available that work out of the box as much as
possible for Eclipse, Netbeans, and IntelliJ.  If someone wants to start
tackling this, please feel free to create the associated ticket(s).
Otherwise, I'll look into doing so this evening.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.