Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/28 21:02:26 UTC

Lucene 2.9 RC2 now available for testing

Hello Lucene users,

On behalf of the Lucene dev community (a growing community far larger
than just the committers) I would like to announce the second release
candidate for Lucene 2.9.

Please download and check it out – take it for a spin and kick the
tires. If all goes well, we hope to release the final version of
Lucene 2.9 in a little over a week.

The following changes have been applied since the first release candidate:
LUCENE-1867: replace collation/lib/icu4j.jar with a smaller icu jar
LUCENE-1868: add Arabic stemmer to notice.txt
LUCENE-1870: fix contrib dist - missing analyzers/db binaries - extra
miscellaneous folder with misc readme in it
LUCENE-1869: include 'file exists?' when we throw RuntimeException
from fdx or tvx size mismatches during flush or merge
LUCENE-1871: Add option to avoid needlessly wrapping TokenStream with
CachingTokenFilter in Highlighter

While we generally try and maintain full backwards compatibility
between major versions, Lucene 2.9 has a variety of breaks that are
spelled out in the 'Changes in backwards compatibility policy' section
of CHANGES.txt.

We recommend that you recompile your application with Lucene 2.9
rather than attempting to “drop” it in. This will alert you to any
issues you may have to fix if you are affected by one of the backward
compatibility breaks. As always, its a really good idea to thoroughly
read CHANGES.txt before upgrading. Also, remember that this is a
release candidate, and not the final Lucene 2.9 release.

Lucene 2.9 comes with a bevy of new features, including:

Per segment searching and caching (can lead to much faster reopen
among other things)

Near real-time search capabilities added to IndexWriter

New queries, including NumericRangeQuery and NumericRangeFilter –
fast, highly scalable alternatives to RangeQuery/RangeFilter for
numeric searches.

Smarter, more scalable multi-term queries (wildcard, range, etc)

A freshly optimized Collector/Scorer API

Improved Unicode support

A new Attribute based TokenStream API

A new QueryParser framework in contrib with a core QueryParser
replacement impl included.

  ….

And many, many more features, bug fixes, optimizations, and various
improvements. You can find the full list of changes here:

HTML version:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/Changes.html

Text version:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/CHANGES.txt

Many changes have also occurred in Lucene's contrib area:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/contrib/CHANGES.txt

Download release candidate 1 here:
http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9rc2/

Be sure to report back with any issues you find!

Thanks,

Mark Miller

Re: Lucene 2.9 RC2 now available for testing

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Yonik
Seeley<yo...@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Peter Keegan<pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Using JProfiler, I observe that the improvement
>> is due to a huge reduction in the number of calls to TermDocs.next and
>> TermDocs.skipTo (about 65% fewer calls).
>
> Indexes are searched per-segment now (i.e. MultiTermDocs isn't normally used).
> Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how this can lead to fewer
> TermDocs.skipTo() calls though.

Wait... perhaps it's just that  accounting for the skipTo() decrease?
Instead of MultiTermDocs.skipTo() delegating to
SegmentTermDocs.skipTo() (2 calls since they both inherit from
TermDocs), it's now just SegmentTermDocs.skipTo() directly.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

  Are you sure you weren't also

Posted by Peter Keegan <pe...@gmail.com>.
This may be it. The scorer is sparse and usually in a conjuction with a
dense scorer.
Does the index format matter? I haven't yet built it with 2.9.

Peter

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Posted by Peter Keegan <pe...@gmail.com>.
>Is it possible that skipTo is very costly with your custom scorer?

It's no more expensive than 'next'. The scorer's 'skipTo' and 'next' methods
call  termdocs.skipTo or termdocs.next to get the next 'candidate' doc. This
just checks a BitVector to find the next non-deleted doc. But the scorer
must visit some metadata (RAM resident) for each candidate doc, which is the
most expensive part. So, reducing the number of calls to the scorer's 'next'
and 'skipTo' methods is always a win.  Since the custom scorer is the
bottleneck with both versions of Lucene (according to JProfiler), the
improvements here are going weigh much more.

Peter

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Keegan <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Posted by Peter Keegan <pe...@gmail.com>.
I've been testing 2.9 RC2 lately and comparing query performance to 2.3.2.
I'm seeing a huge increase in throughput (2x-10x) on an index that was built
with 2.3.2. The queries have a lot of BoostingTermQuerys and boolean clauses
containing a custom scorer. Using JProfiler, I observe that the improvement
is due to a huge reduction in the number of calls to TermDocs.next and
TermDocs.skipTo (about 65% fewer calls). Since the custom scorer is somewhat
expensive and frequent in these queries, the improvement is quite noticable.

Have there been a lot of optimizations in the IndexSearcher/skipto/next
logic since 2.3.2?
Should I expect to see even more query improvement by building the index
with 2.9?  (pinch me!)
Good stuff!

Thanks,
Peter

Posted by Marcelo Ochoa <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi All:
   I am already have integrated Lucene 2.9RC2 with Lucene Domain Index:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddgw7sjp_54fgj9kg
   As usual, a new Lucene version do a fastest product :)
   All my internal test runs OK and I only need to re-test on 10g database.
   Once Lucene 2.9 is ready for production I'll put a new binary
distribution of Lucene Domain Index, updating the docs to reflect the
new functionality of TopFieldCollector which is available from the SQL
layer through the combination of lscore() and lcontains(,,'sort',..)
operators.
   Thanks a lot to all the dev group to release a new great piece of software.
    Best regards, Marcelo.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Mark Miller<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Miller wrote:
>>
>> Download release candidate 1 here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9rc2/
>>
> In case anyone catches - yes that is a cut and paste typo - should read
> release candidate 2 (obvious, but just to cross my t's).
>
> --
> - Mark
>
> http://www.lucidimagination.com

Marcelo F. Ochoa
http://marceloochoa.blogspot.com/
http://marcelo.ochoa.googlepages.com/home

RE: Porting Java Lucene 2.9 to Lucene.Net (was: RE: Lucene 2.9 RC2 now available for testing)

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.

What we need is a way to map an SVN commit in Java Lucene to a Lucene.Net
JIRA issue.  This way, we can track and assign those JIRA issues as port
tasks in Lucene.Net world.

I don't know much about how SVN revision numbers work.  If from SVN revision
numbers, we can get back each commit, then this is the best solution
(especially if hudson can do it for us).

-- George

Re: Porting Java Lucene 2.9 to Lucene.Net (was: RE: Lucene 2.9 RC2 now available for testing)

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
I missed no commit mails the last days. Maybe they were declared as spam by
your mail filter software?

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.
Hi Folks,

I have been following the expected release of Lucene.Net 2.9 for some weeks now, and about 2 weeks ago, just before RC1 was released, I grabbed the code off the trunk and started my initial port.  Today, I compared what I have with what's in RC2, only 6 Java files changes -- this is good.

My question is, I would prefer to track SVN commits to keep track of changes, vs. what I'm doing now.  This will allow us to stay weeks behind a Java release vs. months or years as it is now.  However, while I'm subscribed to SVN's commits mailing list, I'm not getting all those commits!  For example, a commit made this past Friday, I never got an email for, while other commits I do.  Any idea what maybe going on?

I just sent another subscription request email to SVN commit, but I'm not sure if that will make any difference.

Thanks.

-- George

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.