Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de> on 2020/08/23 12:10:29 UTC

[log4j] Too long file name when using TortoiseGIT.

Hi,

this is a just a hint you might want to keep in mind:

The currently used naming scheme for "log4j-spring-cloud-config" leads
to some pretty long paths, which under some circumstances and for some
tools result in trouble on Windows. This is a default Windows, without
the setting to support long paths enabled[1], and obviously
(Tortoise)GIT doesn't use long Unicode paths on it's own.

> ---------------------------
> TortoiseGit
> ---------------------------
> Revert failed:
> error: unable to create file log4j-spring-cloud-config/log4j-spring-cloud-config-samples/log4j-spring-cloud-config-sample-application/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/spring/cloud/config/sample/utils/spring/SampleResponseErrorHandler.java: Filename too long
>
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------

An abbreviation like "app" might be of help already, because
"log4j-spring-cloud-config-sample-server" seems to work. Though
placing things a level app like has been done with
"log4j-layout-jackson-*" seems to make more sense to me.

[1]: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file#enable-long-paths-in-windows-10-version-1607-and-later

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: [log4j] Too long file name when using TortoiseGIT.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
You'd think we'd see this show up in Jenkins. Interestingly enough, I
am seeing a Windows-specific test failure on Jenkins related to
Spring: https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Logging/job/log4j/job/master/123/testReport/org.apache.logging.log4j.spring.cloud.config.client/SpringLookupTest/Test___Windows___testLookup/

Looks like I need to adjust our pipelines to notify us properly on
test failures because this has been failing since several commits ago.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [log4j] Too long file name when using TortoiseGIT.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.