Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by Eric R George <Er...@aero.org> on 2008/08/13 18:28:18 UTC

Re: Install Issues

My apologizes to the list for forgetting to change the subject line
previously.

I'll have another look at the source build when I find some time.
Thanks
Eric

Nadir Amra <am...@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: axis-c-user-return-6165-Eric.R.George=aero.org@ws.apache.org
08/13/2008 10:07 AM
Please respond to
"Apache AXIS C User List" <ax...@ws.apache.org>

"Apache AXIS C User List" <ax...@ws.apache.org>
cc
"Apache AXIS C User List" <ax...@ws.apache.org>
Subject
Re: SSL support using other packages other than openSSL ?

Eric,

Have not really worked on the server-side of things....the client is
(latest code in SVN) is very stable.

I would first urge you to build new binaries using ant from the code in
SVN, the binaries you are using are very old and buggy.

AXISCPP_DEPLOY should point to the directory containing etc/axiscpp_conf.
For example, if I have the following

/client/etc/axiscpp.conf

Then AXISCPP_DEPLOY should point to /client.

If I have time I will try to go through the server-step process and update

the docs.  I do plan on releasing newer binaries, but currently fixing
bugs so I have no set time-table.

Nadir Amra

Eric R George <Er...@aero.org> wrote on 08/13/2008 10:27:32 AM:

> Ok, I sent this to the list the other day, but it hasn't shown up
> yet??  Here's another try - sorry if people get duplicates.
>
> I'm getting pretty frustrated with the Axis C++ binary installation.
> I'm going to go step-by-step through the installation instructions
> provided.  Sorry for the long email - think of it as a complete
> newbie trying to learn your system.
>
> For what it's worth, I'm working on a Fedora Core 5 system
>
> I downloaded axis-c-linux-current-bin.tar several days ago and
> unpacked it to reveal axis-c-1.6b-Linux-trace-bin
>
> Then I went to axis-c-1.6b-Linux-trace-bin/docs/install-guide.html
> and found the instructions for server install & config.
>
> Step 1: Download Axis C++
>
>         Done - unpacked to /home/myname/WebServices/axis-c-1.6b-
> Linux-trace-bin
>
> Step 2: Install Apache Web Server
>
>         Done - I have httpd-2.2.2-1.3 installed via RPM and modules
> are supported.
>
> 3. Install Xerces C++ (2.2.0)
>
>         Done - I then downloaded & installed xerces-c-src_2_8_0
>
>         This yielded the following libraries:
>
>         /usr/local/lib/libxerces-c.so -> libxerces-c.so.28.0
>         /usr/local/lib/libxerces-c.so.28 -> libxerces-c.so.28.0
>         /usr/local/lib/libxerces-c.so.28.0
>         /usr/local/lib/libxerces-depdom.so -> libxerces-depdom.so.28.0
>         /usr/local/lib/libxerces-depdom.so.28 ->
libxerces-depdom.so.28.0
>         /usr/local/lib/libxerces-depdom.so.28.0
>
> 4. Configure environment variables
>
>         Done:
>         export AXISCPP_DEPLOY="/home/myname/WebService/axis-c-1.6b-
> Linux-trace-bin/"
>
>         export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib:$AXISCPP_DEPLOY/lib"
>
>         (There appears to be a missing linefeed in the 3rd line of
> this section)
>
> 5. Configure Engine Wide Settings in Configuration File
>
>         Ok, here is some confusion.  I read the following instruction:
>
>                 "A sample configuration file is installed in
> $AXISCPP_DEPLOY/etc"
>
>         I understood earlier that AXISCPP_DEPLOY was to point to the
> directory I unpacked the tarball to.  In this case
> /home/myname/WebServices/axis-c-1.6b-Linux-trace-bin  But there is
> no etc directory here??  I did find an etc directory under
> /home/myname/WebServices/axis-c-1.6b-Linux-trace-bin/deploy.
>
>         So, the first question:

> What should AXISCPP_DEPLOY point to??
>
>         Should it point to the unpacked directory, or the 'deploy'
> directory with it?  Or did I miss something above?
>
>         I'll take a guess and re-assign the AXISCPP_DEPLOY
> environment variable to the deploy directory within the top-level
directory:

>         export AXISCPP_DEPLOY="/home/myname/WebService/axis-c-1.6b-
> Linux-trace-bin/deploy/"
>         export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib:$AXISCPP_DEPLOY/lib"
>
>         So now I look in $AXISSCPP_DEPLOY/etc ... there is no
> axiscpp.conf file present, as stated in your instructions??
>
>         There is a axiscpp.conf_linux file, with a structure similar
> to what is described in the docs, so I copy it to axiscpp.conf  Not
> to much of a leap, but it would be nice if the docs pointed this out.
>
>         cp $AXISCPP_DEPLOY/etc/axiscpp.conf_linux
> $AXISCPP_DEPLOY/etc/axiscpp.conf
>
>         I go in and take a look ... and all of the paths reference
> "/usr/local/axiscpp_deploy/".  There is nothing in the server
> install instructions which says anything about copying stuff to
> /usr/local/axiscpp_deploy.  Why not use the $AXISCPP_DEPLOY
> environment variable?
>
>         So I change the paths to point to
> /home/myname/WebService/axis-c-1.6b-Linux-trace-bin/deploy/
>
>         Now my config file looks like this:

LogPath:/home/myname/WebService/axis-c-1.6b-Linux-trace-bin/deploy/log/AxisLog