Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/12 22:43:43 UTC

server needs thrift to run also?

I'm trying to follow along the twissandra installation instructions.

So to get it running I have to install Thrift.

So thrift runs as another service?  So communication is done via thrift,
which then communicates to Cassandra on another port?

Re: server needs thrift to run also?

Posted by Miguel Verde <mi...@gmail.com>.
I'll take a guess.

S Ahmed, the Thrift compiler takes a .thrift file and can generate client
and server code for it in your language of choice.  This code depends on the
Thrift runtime library in that language.

For instance, the Thrift Java runtime library is bundled with Cassandra as a
jar.  When developers want to change the interface, they change the .thrift
file and generate server code from it.  This code is also then bundled with
Cassandra, and depends on the jar.

Twissandra includes pycassa, which has already generated the client code
from the .thrift file for you.  You don't need to generate any code.  You
do, however, need to install the Thrift Python runtime library.

Posted by Benjamin Black <b...@b3k.us>.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 23:13 -0500, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> would it be hard to make "easy_install pycassa" install thrift
> automagically?

I think it would do that already, assuming that pycassa itself was
installable from the cheeseshop (not sure why it isn't). Twissandra is
actually using an embedded copy of pycassa.

http://github.com/vomjom/pycassa/issues/issue/11

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com