Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Hardenbergh <ha...@terarecon.com> on 2008/03/31 23:54:14 UTC

Setting up Subversion of a set of interrelated projects

We recently switched over to Subversion from CVS and we are about to do the first SW release and tagging the whole directory seems like overkill.

I just want to see if anyone has set up subversion fo a similar environment.

We have 4 major directories - sw, hw, common, docs. From this we build device drivers, runtime libraries, an SDK, a bunch of tools, a couple of simulators and some logic files. We also have 3 generations of products, so, the whole kit and kaboodle is large.

In the good old CVS days, we could checkout individual files. Now we check out directories, but that is not too bad. So, to build the runtime library, we checkout specific directories.

    Checkout(CHECKOUTTAG, BUILDREV, 'sw/build', False)
    Checkout(CHECKOUTTAG, BUILDREV, 'common', False)
    Checkout(CHECKOUTTAG, BUILDREV, 'common/PNGFile', False)

Using pysvn, we have a tool that walks a tree and finds these roots and does updates.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to tag it. If I tag one of the roots, it does not preserve any hierarchy. So, I just tag the whole repository.

svn copy http://fred.com/svn/Fred/trunk/ http://fred.com/svn/Fred/tags/fred_4_1_0_beta

YON - Jan C. Hardenbergh, jch@terarecon.com, 978-369-6500x272
Director of VolumePro Software Engineering

Re: Setting up Subversion of a set of interrelated projects

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

 Jan> We recently switched over to Subversion from CVS and we are
 Jan> about to do the first SW release and tagging the whole directory
 Jan> seems like overkill.

 Jan> I just want to see if anyone has set up subversion fo a similar
 Jan> environment.

 Jan> We have 4 major directories - sw, hw, common, docs. From this we
 Jan> build device drivers, runtime libraries, an SDK, a bunch of
 Jan> tools, a couple of simulators and some logic files. We also have
 Jan> 3 generations of products, so, the whole kit and kaboodle is
 Jan> large.

 Jan> In the good old CVS days, we could checkout individual
 Jan> files. Now we check out directories, but that is not too
 Jan> bad. So, to build the runtime library, we checkout specific
 Jan> directories.

 Jan> Checkout(CHECKOUTTAG, BUILDREV, 'sw/build', False)
 Jan> Checkout(CHECKOUTTAG, BUILDREV, 'common', False)
 Jan> Checkout(CHECKOUTTAG, BUILDREV, 'common/PNGFile', False)

We have a setup that looks a bit like that, although for most people
only one or two trees are needed so it doesn't need any tools to wrap
it.

 Jan> The problem is that I cannot figure out how to tag it. If I tag
 Jan> one of the roots, it does not preserve any hierarchy. So, I just
 Jan> tag the whole repository.

 Jan> svn copy http://fred.com/svn/Fred/trunk/
 Jan> http://fred.com/svn/Fred/tags/fred_4_1_0_beta

Good idea.  "svn copy" is very cheap.  Just do the whole thing.  A
bunch of names come along that aren't needed, but it's free so why
not?

	paul