Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Radim Kolar <hs...@filez.com> on 2012/04/28 20:47:48 UTC

Re: Geronimo release cycle

> Currently, the release cycle for Geronimo is about an year or even
> longer, so it takes significant amount of time before we could use an
> updated version of software with bug fixes and enhancements.
I also feel that project is not very alive. Most alive open source
application server project is Glassfish. but it has significant number
of bugs. I already tried 2 times to deploy it in production - once for
glassfish V2.0 and second few years later with glassfish 3.1.1 and had
to step back.

I currently use JBoss 7.1.1. Documentation for AS 7 is bad probably even
worse then Geronimo docs, official forums are not much alive, posts has
< 100 reads. Fighting with classloading issues in JBoss is challenging
as well in geronimo, i was unable to solve some classloading issues as
well - had to build own J2EE minimal stack and deploy it into Jetty 7.
But i was more successful in fighting these problems in jboss then in
Geronimo.

As i understand open source community in general do not like J2EE
concept and tends to use simpler solutions like tomcat, which means that
OS J2EE app servers are not on community radar with exception of
Glassfish - which is popular because its offered as J2EE download from
oracle site.

Re: Geronimo release cycle

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@filez.com>.
> Note that there was a fair amount of discussion on the dev list on this same subject. There's been a lot of focus by the community on a 3.0 release (and others). Which I expect will be soon.
You have also really low commit rate - about 15 commits per month - you
need to attract new developers.

Re: Geronimo release cycle

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 28, 2012, at 2:47 PM, Radim Kolar wrote:

>> Currently, the release cycle for Geronimo is about an year or even longer, so it takes significant amount of time before we could use an updated version of software with bug fixes and enhancements.
> I also feel that project is not very alive. Most alive open source application server project is Glassfish. but it has significant number of bugs. I already tried 2 times to deploy it in production - once for glassfish V2.0 and second few years later with glassfish 3.1.1 and had to step back.
>
> I currently use JBoss 7.1.1. Documentation for AS 7 is bad probably even worse then Geronimo docs, official forums are not much alive, posts has < 100 reads. Fighting with classloading issues in JBoss is challenging as well in geronimo, i was unable to solve some classloading issues as well - had to build own J2EE minimal stack and deploy it into Jetty 7. But i was more successful in fighting these problems in jboss then in Geronimo.
>
> As i understand open source community in general do not like J2EE concept and tends to use simpler solutions like tomcat, which means that OS J2EE app servers are not on community radar with exception of Glassfish - which is popular because its offered as J2EE download from oracle site.

Note that there was a fair amount of discussion on the dev list on this same subject. There's been a lot of focus by the community on a 3.0 release (and others). Which I expect will be soon. As always, anyone who is interested in helping with releases (e.g. 2.2.x) is welcome to lend a hand…

--kevan