Posted to qa@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2016/02/16 22:50:59 UTC

FW: Food for Thought

This was posted on the dev@ openoffice.apache.org, a list some of you should be on even though documentation-related discussions are not that often.  The dev@ list is the list of record for certain matters.

The list post is something for our specialized lists to understand about how work gets done on the Apache OpenOffice project,

 - Dennis

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Food for thought: <https://communitywiki.org/DoOcracy>

The Apache OpenOffice project, and other Apache projects, are more like do-ocracies than any other form of project governance.  The distinct karma for committers and also PMC members is fundamentally related to the Foundation requirements concerning IP provenance of project code bases and other artifacts, although that is often referred to as a meritocracy arrangement.

For example, no one on the Apache OpenOffice project has executive authority, although there are particular accountabilities for committers, PMC members, and the PMC Chair (who is an officer of the Foundation).

For another example, there are no assignments to give out or ways other than suggestion and recommendation to direct effort.  This is probably what is most confusing to outsiders and also to the many advocates for AOO who would like to see particular expressed needs met.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    orcmid@apache.org
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail

RE: Food for Thought

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
Cut-and-paste error.

This was posted on the dev@ openoffice.apache.org, a list some of you should be on even though QA-related discussions are not that often.  The dev@ list is the list of record for certain matters.

It is valuable for someone on the QA list to gate-keep in both directions as necessary to have folks up-to-date wherever they prefer to subscribe.