Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2004/09/28 04:34:40 UTC

[eve] anyone interested in working on backend?

Hi,

As I'm going through the backend I realized that some of the work can be
partitioned and done in parallel.  Namely the are a number of components
that will store configuration information in XML.  One of the things I
want to do is build a harness for the backend.  I'm planning on using
XMLBeans in the harness to generate implementations of various schema
objects from an XML representation.

Is anyone interested in handling the XMLBeans based configuration in the
harness?

Off list a few folks like Serdar asked what they can work on.  I think
this is a great opportunity to start digging in somewhere if you're
interested.

Alex

Re: [eve] anyone interested in working on backend?

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> You rock Bruce thanks man for the heads up!  You just won a stiff drink
> at the Mirage again :-) this Nov.

Ha! I look forward to seeing you there.

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print
unpack("u30","<0G)U8V4\\@4VYY9&5R\\"F9E<G)E=\\$\\!F<FEI+F-O;0\\`\\`");'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Re: [eve] anyone interested in working on backend?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
You rock Bruce thanks man for the heads up!  You just won a stiff drink
at the Mirage again :-) this Nov.

See ya then,
Alex

Re: LDAP Schema Parser

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Serdar,

If you try something like Syntaxes first you might be better off.  As
per our off list conversation I sent an email to this fellow here to see
if you would be interested in working with us:

http://www.arturschneider.de/ldap.html

So if you start on the opposite side and meet in the middle this is
best.  Otherwise you may be reproducing work.  In which case we can
merge things but why do that if we don't have to.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Alex

LDAP Schema Parser

Posted by mustaoglu serdar <sm...@yahoo.com>.
hi all,

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Cetin,

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 11:04, Cetin Karakus wrote:
> i am going to download and experiiment with XMLBeans

While doing this you might want a nice little use case or example
that can be used later on as we go forward.  So you might want to
start work on Syntaxes for example where I have a XML (xsd) schema
hanging around for it here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/directory/eve/trunk/backend/merlin/src/java/org/apache/eve/schema/MerlinBootstrapSyntaxRegistry.xsd?rev=47369&root=Apache-SVN&view=auto

Here's an example of this document type:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/directory/eve/trunk/backend/merlin/src/java/org/apache/eve/schema/MerlinBootstrapSyntaxRegistry.xconfig?rev=47369&root=Apache-SVN&view=auto

Basically what you want to do is have XMLBeans generate the code
where the bean implements the Syntax interface here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/directory/ldap/trunk/common/src/java/org/apache/ldap/common/schema/Syntax.java?rev=47269&root=Apache-SVN&view=auto

Factories created by XML beans should generate instances of Syntax when
these configurations are parsed.

How does that sound for a starter experiment with XMLBeans?  Also note
the email from Bruce Snyder about the Maven plugin for it ;).

BTW you're approach with your friend Serdar is excellent.  One of you
handles the parsing of the LDAP schema descriptions and the other
handles the XML description parse.  The next stage will be to actually
render these schema objects either as XML or as the LDAP schema
description.

Thanks,
Alex

Posted by Cetin Karakus <ce...@gmail.com>.