Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <dk...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/26 14:32:37 UTC

Archetype ready for testing.

Hi all,
As you might be aware if you've been watching the commit messages
recently, I've been working on an archetype for Isis.  We used to have
an archetype for Naked Objects too, but this is a completely new
archetype (reverse-engineered from the support/quickstart "prototype"
project using mvn archetype:create-from-project).

I've uploaded the archetype, along with the rest of Isis, to the Apache
snapshots repo.  That means that newbies ought to be able to try out
Isis without having to build the codebase from scratch.

It'd be great if you could try out the archetype, ideally on a brand new
machine (eg, a virtual machine running Ubuntu).  If that's too much
hassle, then at least move (or delete) ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/isis
so as to force a download of Isis from the snapshots repo.

The magic command is:

mvn -D archetypeCatalog=http://people.apache.org/~danhaywood -D
groupId=org.apache.isis.support -D artifactId=quickstart-archetype

You can then load the generated application (which should look basically
the same as support/quickstart) into your IDE and try things out.

I've also been updating the site with a page to explain to newbies how
to do this, along with how to use the generated application.  I should
get that new site uploaded this weekend, after which I'll post here
again (along with moving the archetype-catalog.xml from my ~danhaywood
home directory into the Isis site proper).

Cheers
Dan

PS: If you're interested, I've documented the gruesome details on how
the archetype is created/can be maintained on the wiki [1].  The details
on how I upload to the snapshot and how I upload the site are also in
the wiki [2], [3]

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ISIS/RecreatingMavenArchetypeFromProject
[2]