Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Martin Elzen <Ma...@usoft.com> on 2011/02/17 11:11:20 UTC

docs on what's changed in Xalan 1.11?

Hi all.  I'd like to know: where can I find info or documentation on what's changed between Xalan versions 1.10 and the not-yet-officially-released 1.11?

________________________________
The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by forwarding this email to MailAdmin@usoft.com and then delete it from your system.

USoft is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.

Re: docs on what's changed in Xalan 1.11?

Posted by Steve & Julia Hathaway <sh...@e-z.net>.
On 2/19/2011 12:16 PM, David Bertoni wrote:
> On 2/17/2011 2:11 AM, Martin Elzen wrote:
>> Hi all. I’d like to know: where can I find info or documentation on
>> what’s changed between Xalan versions 1.10 and the
>> not-yet-officially-released 1.11?
> There really isn't any documentation and it's unlikely there will be.
> Most of the changes are bug fixes, or issues to maintain compatibility
> with major API changes in Xerces-C that happened between Xerces-C 2.8
> and 3.0.x.  There are also some changes for issues with GCC 4.x and
> the newer Microsoft compilers.
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave,

FYI: I found a minor difference in error propagation when extending the
Function class when creating  custom XPath functions.  The difference is
minor.  I resolved the difference by examining the inheritance on
callback trees and calling the proper error registry.   The XPath
processor cashes the error and makes the message known to the
transformer when the custom Function returns.  Eventually, the process
or thread that started the transformer is notified of the anomaly and
can therefore process the error or warning. I have deployed several
custom functions in production software to significantly reduce
stylesheet processing overhead.

Otherwise I have found the Xalan version 1.10 documentation very usable.

Steve

Re: docs on what's changed in Xalan 1.11?

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.

Re: howto do XalanElement->getAttribute "name"correctly in Xalan 1.11?

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
On 2/18/2011 9:08 AM, Martin Elzen wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I’m working on porting some code that compiles fine on an ICU 3.6 /
> Xerces 2.7.0 / Xalan 1.10 “base” to an ICU 4.4.4 / Xerces 3.1.1 / Xalan
> 1.11-daily-build-of-around-7-november base. Unfortunately Xalan code
> like the following:
>
> XalanDOMString param_name = pElt->getAttribute(XalanDOMString("name"));
There were a number of APIs on the Xalan DOM that were never used
internally and there were some contortions in the code to support some
of them, so they were removed.

> fails to compile with gcc version 4.4.something on Fedora13.
>
> So I diffed that Xalan 1.11 tree against the Xalan 1.10 tree, found some
> differences and eventually came up with the following that does compile
> for the Xalan 1.11 bits:
>
> XalanNode* pnodeTwo = pElt->getAttributes()->getNamedItem(
> XalanDOMString("name") );
>
> XalanDOMString param_name;
>
> if( pnodeTwo )
>
> param_name = pnodeTwo->getNodeValue();
This code is slightly inefficient, as you're making a copy of the
XalanDOMString instance. You could do this as:

const XalanDOMString* param_name = NULL;

if (pnodeTwo) {
   param_name = &pnode_two->getNodeValue();
}

if (param_name) {
}

> Is the above Xalan 1.11-using code correct, though?
Yes, that code is correct, and should also work with earlier versions of
Xalan-C.

Dave

howto do XalanElement->getAttribute "name"correctly in Xalan 1.11?

Posted by Martin Elzen <Ma...@usoft.com>.
Hi All.

I'm working on porting some code that compiles fine on an ICU 3.6 / Xerces 2.7.0 / Xalan 1.10 "base" to an ICU 4.4.4 / Xerces 3.1.1 / Xalan 1.11-daily-build-of-around-7-november base.  Unfortunately Xalan code like the following:
               XalanDOMString param_name = pElt->getAttribute(XalanDOMString("name"));
fails to compile with gcc version 4.4.something on Fedora13.

So I diffed that Xalan 1.11 tree against the Xalan 1.10 tree, found some differences and eventually came up with the following that does compile for the Xalan 1.11 bits:
               XalanNode* pnodeTwo = pElt->getAttributes()->getNamedItem( XalanDOMString("name") );
               XalanDOMString   param_name;
               if( pnodeTwo )
                   param_name = pnodeTwo->getNodeValue();

Is the above Xalan 1.11-using code correct, though?

Martin