Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Luca Marchesano <lu...@ericsson.com> on 2012/02/14 15:26:49 UTC

Keystore password not masked in server.xml file

Hi all,
I'm trying to configure a Tomcat 7.0.21 server in order to use the SSL connector. I've generated a keystore and specified it in the server.xml file, but I have to specify the keystore's password in clear in the connector's configuration. Is it possible to avoid that? Is there a way to specify the keystore's password in encrypted way?

Thanks in advance,
Luca

Re: Keystore password not masked in server.xml file

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 14 Feb 2012, at 14:27, Luca Marchesano <lu...@ericsson.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to configure a Tomcat 7.0.21 server in order to use the SSL connector. I've generated a keystore and specified it in the server.xml file, but I have to specify the keystore's password in clear in the connector's configuration. Is it possible to avoid that? Is there a way to specify the keystore's password in encrypted way?

If its encrypted, where will you put the decryption key?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Keystore password not masked in server.xml file

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 19/02/2012 12:17, Pae Choi wrote:
> On 02/19/2012 06:03 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> The OP's inquiry was quite reasonable as well as valid in a security
>>> aspect.
>> No it wasn't. It was illogical. Chris has already pointed to the FAQ
>> entry that discusses this in more detail. I don't propose to repeat
>> those arguments here but I will say the proposal below is nonsense.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Which part of OP's comment illogical? is concerning the clear-text
> password illogical?

Yes.

> Where is the part in the FAQ that describe *in more detail* part? I'll
> be interesting to
> read about it.

Try reading the FAQ link Chris already pointed you to then.

> Nonsense? Is logical and rational simply saying nonsense without any
> logical explanation?

As I previously stated, the FAQ article provides all the explanation
required and I don't intend wasting my time copying and pasting it into
an email message.

> You could point out which part specifically you do not understand.
> Perhaps, security topic is too much for you to digest?

ROTFLMAO. I'll leave folks to check the archives to determine our
relative credibility on that one. I'm confident I know what the result
will be.

> When you do not understand, you simply just don't get it.

Hopefully, but I suspect not, you'll come to the conclusion that it is
in fact the other way around and that it is you that doesn't get it.

> Pae
>
> P.S.: Also, why I am seeing your post without my original posting? How
> funny!

Yes, it is hilarious that you appear to be unable to configure your
browser to show message threads correctly.

I don't intend feeding this troll any further by replying to whatever
reply this e-mail may generate but I do offer the following food for
thought:

writes something you think is nonsense, there is a fairly good chance
that they do in fact know what they are talking about. You may want to
do a little more research before you start questioning their
intelligence. I'm not saying that they won't make mistakes (and when
they do, they'll be more than happy to own up to them), but it is
advisable to be very sure of your ground before you start typing unless
- of course - you are happy making yourself look like a complete idiot.

Mark

Posted by Pae Choi <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pae Choi <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 02/14/2012 09:32 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Luca Marchesano [mailto:luca.marchesano@ericsson.com]
>> Subject: Keystore password not masked in server.xml file
>> Is there a way to specify the keystore's password in encrypted way?
> Think about it: where are you going to put the encryption key so Tomcat can get at it to decode the encrypted password?  Eventually, something must be in plain text, accessible to Tomcat.  Secure your Tomcat configuration files so you don't have to worry about random users looking at them.
>
>   - Chuck

The OP's inquiry was quite reasonable as well as valid in a security
aspect. The 'password' for

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Savitha Akella <sa...@gmail.com>.
If you want to encrypt the password, you have to override the DBCP
implementation to decrypt the encrypted password so that the real pwd is
accessible or available to tomcat.