Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com> on 2008/12/01 01:39:49 UTC

OS Upgrade Broke SpamAssassin; Help Needed to Fix

   I (finally) upgraded my main server/workstation from Slackware-11.0 to
-12.0. After rebooting into the newer kernel, the mail system wasn't
working. Postfix was OK, and I traced the problem to SpamAssassin. Version
3.1.7 was installed.

   Some perl modules needed to be upgraded, so I did those via CPAN. This did
not fix the problem (memory use about 98%, disk trashing, postfix cleaning
running constantly, MTA connection to localhost (127.0.0.1) being refused,
etc.) so I thought an upgrade of SA was in order.

   I tried to upgrade to 3.2.5 via CPAN ('perl -MCPAN -e shell; install
Mail::SpamAssassin'). The above mentioned problems still exist as soon as I
turn on the spam filter in /etc/postfix/master.cf. Turned it off again.

   Here are the current versions reported by SA:

[rshepard@salmo ~]$ /usr/local/bin/spamassassin -V
spamassassin: spamassassin script is v3.001007, but using modules v3.002005

   SpamAssassin-3.1.7 is installed in /etc/mail/spamassassin/.

   How should I proceed to fix the installation so there's only one copy
(either in /etc/mail/spamassassin or /usr/local/bin) and that's the latest
version? I would like to get this fixed ASAP so I can turn it back on and
still have the MTA working.

TIA,

Rich

Re: OS Upgrade Broke SpamAssassin; Help Needed to Fix

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Mon, December 1, 2008 02:34, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> you have installed 3.2.5 from cpan
>> and 3.1.7 in rpm ?
> Slackware doesn't use rpms. The slack packages end in .tgz and
> that's what the package tools work with.

pas then

--
Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

Re: OS Upgrade Broke SpamAssassin; Help Needed to Fix

Posted by Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com>.
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> you have installed 3.2.5 from cpan
> and 3.1.7 in rpm ?

Benny,

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Mon, December 1, 2008 01:39, Rich Shepard wrote:

> still have the MTA working.

you have installed 3.2.5 from cpan
and 3.1.7 in rpm ?

newer install cpan builds when host os is rpm based

google cpan2rpm

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 04:39:49PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> [rshepard@salmo ~]$ /usr/local/bin/spamassassin -V
> spamassassin: spamassassin script is v3.001007, but using modules v3.002005
>
>   How should I proceed to fix the installation so there's only one copy
> (either in /etc/mail/spamassassin or /usr/local/bin) and that's the latest
> version? I would like to get this fixed ASAP so I can turn it back on and
> still have the MTA working.

Find all SA-related files and delete them.  Then go back and install a fresh
version.  Make sure to save your own site configs and such, and reinstall them
when you're done.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"I cannot have an aide who will not look up. You will be forever walking