Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/11 20:57:41 UTC

{DISCUSS] Home for Daytrader sample leveraging Aries

Greetings all,

I've been working on a version of the Geronimo Daytrader performance
benchmark to leverage the enterprise OSGi application programming model.
  I've been doing this work in my sandbox under Apache Geronimo
(https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/jbohn with the most
recent changes under daytrader-bp-new).

I'd like to find a more permanent location for this work and get it out
of my sandbox.

Here is a brief description of what I have thus far in sandbox:
- A restructured Daytrader to support an enterprise OSGi application
programming model including blueprint, web container, jndi, jpa, etc...
- To further support this programming model I have also reorganized the
classes, packages, and bundles.
- Simplification and removal of content not yet available in the
enterprise OSGi application programming model such as EJB support and
removal of Geronimo specific artifacts such as the plugins.
- Refactoring the way components gain knowledge of each other and
interact to support blueprint concepts such as reference list and
reference listeners.
- Support for just two different persistence mechanisms - direct JDBC
and direct JPA which are currently included in the enterprise OSGi
application programming model.
- packaging using the Aries Application concepts.

After seeing the recently introduced Apache Aries Blog Sample and its
assembly for Equinox it encouraged me to do something similar for
Daytrader so that I could get this running with Apache Aries.  I now
have a further subset of my sandbox work that could be added as a peer
to the blog-sample which includes just the JDBC persistence mechanism,
is hard-wired to Derby, and includes an Equinox assembly to run it.
This is not currently in any svn because I did it on my local repository
under aries/trunk/samples with hopes of checking it in there.

I think it is time to get this code to a better home and I'm currently
thinking that aries/trunk/samples is a good place to start.  For now I
would check in just the version with JDBC and the equinox assembly.
However, I would extend this with other capabilities already in my
sandbox for JPA persistence, the Aries Application packaging, etc... as
these become available in Aries.

I'm interested if others agree with this approach, if it seems like a
worthwhile endeavor, and if it is acceptable to include this code under
aries/trunk/samples.

Here are the current discussion points and concerns as I see them:
1) Duplication of code between Geronimo and Aries if I check it into
Aries.  However, the code is already split from the JavaEE Daytrader
version and I doubt it would be possible to fully merge the code base
and keep both the JavaEE and Aries versions working from a common code
base without cluttering up the code with environment checks.   So, even
if we keep it all in Geronimo I think we will still end up with
multiple code streams.
2) The Equinox assembly version for DayTrader currently doesn't exploit
anything directly in Apache Geronimo.  It depends upon the pax web
container among other things.  It is certainly my intention that this
should run on Geronimo when Geronimo supports osgi rfc 66 among other
things.  However it seems strange to include this in Geronimo at this
point in time.
3) Daytrader has always supported running in multiple web containers.  I
think moving this enterprise OSGi application version of Daytrader to
Aries further supports this goal and ensures that it won't become too
tightly coupled to Geronimo.

My apologies for the length of this description.  Please let me know
your thoughts - especially if you have any concerns with checking this
version of Daytrader in under
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/trunk/samples

Thanks,
Joe

Re: {DISCUSS] Home for Daytrader sample leveraging Aries

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
If a new name is really important I suggest AriesTrader.

Alasdair

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: {DISCUSS] Home for Daytrader sample leveraging Aries

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
David Jencks wrote:
> Daytrader has a long history of insufficient maintenance and ad-hoc
> changes to suit the demands of the moment, followed by no cleanup of all
> the broken edges.    IMO having an aries version of daytrader, the
> latest hot thing, will mean that the ee version will be completely
> dead.  I don't think this is desirable.  However, I'm not likely to work
> on any version of daytrader in the forseeable future.

I agree with the long history of insufficient maintenance and ad-hoc
changes with no cleanup of all the  broken edges.  I discovered that
first hand as I started looking into this.  In fact, a good part of my
time has been in trying to remove or clean-up some of those broken edges.

In one respect starting afresh in Aries might help breath some new life
into this sample and force us to remove some of the cruft.  In fact,
I've discovered that using the Aries programming model forces this to a
degree.  The challenge, as you mention, will be to percolate that back
into the JavaEE version.  I think that will be a challenge no matter
where the Aries version is located.

Joe

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Alasdair
> I think you should add the samples into the top level pom to ensure
> they are built. We can worry about build time later.

I've just done it. they all build cleanly on my system and at least one
other person has checked the blog sample.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
It seems there is consensus to introduce this Aries enabled version of
Daytrader into Apache Aries for now.  I'll add it under the top level
pom.  It appears that a rename is also in order.  I'd do that as step
two which will leave a little better record of the history of the code.

Some recent rework of the sample has created some new issues that I need
to resolve - but I'll hopefully be checking it in very soon.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Joe

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: {DISCUSS] Home for Daytrader sample leveraging Aries

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: {DISCUSS] Home for Daytrader sample leveraging Aries

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy,

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Joe,

I think it is a great idea to have a sample that can be extended to use new Aries features as and when they appear. The range of features in Daytrader would be a great asset.

+1

Tim

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/

Re: {DISCUSS] Home for Daytrader sample leveraging Aries

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Joe,

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.