Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2008/04/23 17:51:01 UTC

some redo of the Website to support additional things being released

Because we're releasing lots of new stuff, I think our webpages need
some updating.  Here's a proposal:

1) home page: add short paragraphs for uima-as, annotators, tools
(CasEditor), simple-server - the set of things in the sandbox we're
releasing this time around (this might be done over time, as things get
released)  To keep the initial view small, add a summary paragraph /
list to show as the first thing at the top, with links to these
paragraphs.

2) documentation page:  make a table to concisely show docs - rows would
be for different things being released, columns would be for things like
pdf, html, apidocs, etc.

3) download page: make a table to concisely show links to download -
same rows as above, but columns would be for things like current vs link
to archives, binary, source, link to eclipse update site, gpg/md5/sha1
verifications (maybe, not sure...)

4) updates to the Project Team page - list more people, especially the
contributors of annotators, and uima-as components (with their
permission).  Names only, no links/emails (for respecting privacy)
unless specifically wanted.  (Thilo links his to home page on Apache).

Other opinions?

-Marshall

Re: some redo of the Website to support additional things being released

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Because we're releasing lots of new stuff, I think our webpages need
> some updating.  Here's a proposal:
>
> 1) home page: add short paragraphs for uima-as, annotators, tools
> (CasEditor), simple-server - the set of things in the sandbox we're
> releasing this time around (this might be done over time, as things
> get released)  To keep the initial view small, add a summary paragraph
> / list to show as the first thing at the top, with links to these
> paragraphs.
> 2) documentation page:  make a table to concisely show docs - rows
> would be for different things being released, columns would be for
> things like pdf, html, apidocs, etc.
>
> 3) download page: make a table to concisely show links to download -
> same rows as above, but columns would be for things like current vs
> link to archives, binary, source, link to eclipse update site,
> gpg/md5/sha1 verifications (maybe, not sure...)
>
> 4) updates to the Project Team page - list more people, especially the
> contributors of annotators, and uima-as components (with their
> permission).  Names only, no links/emails (for respecting privacy)
> unless specifically wanted.  (Thilo links his to home page on Apache).

Another thing to add: the "how to do a release" for the various
sub-projects.  For now, I suggest just adding this to the main
how-to-do-a-release.  For instance, to release the uima-as requires a
build process which includes running the tag script and then
extracting/building the base uima before doing the uima-as build
(because it depends on the local repository having the proper build of
the base).

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Because we're releasing lots of new stuff, I think our webpages need
> some updating.  Here's a proposal:
>
> 1) home page: add short paragraphs for uima-as, annotators, tools
> (CasEditor), simple-server - the set of things in the sandbox we're
> releasing this time around (this might be done over time, as things get
> released)  To keep the initial view small, add a summary paragraph /
> list to show as the first thing at the top, with links to these paragraphs.
> 2) documentation page:  make a table to concisely show docs - rows would
> be for different things being released, columns would be for things like
> pdf, html, apidocs, etc.
>
> 3) download page: make a table to concisely show links to download -
> same rows as above, but columns would be for things like current vs link
> to archives, binary, source, link to eclipse update site, gpg/md5/sha1
> verifications (maybe, not sure...)
>
> 4) updates to the Project Team page - list more people, especially the
> contributors of annotators, and uima-as components (with their
> permission).  Names only, no links/emails (for respecting privacy)
> unless specifically wanted.  (Thilo links his to home page on Apache).
>
> Other opinions?
>
> -Marshall

Sounds good to me. +1

-- Michael

Re: some redo of the Website to support additional things being released

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Overall, sounds good.  Note that there is a sandbox page already.
Your sandbox links should go there, I think.

--Thilo