Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Paul J. Lucas" <pj...@barefooters.org> on 2000/07/27 19:30:39 UTC

[OT]: GPL (Was: Templating system)

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> I wrote:
> > 	What's wrong with the GPL?  It's open-source and free of cost.
> > 	What more do you want?
>
> The ability to build commercial applications.

	The GPL allows you to use and incorporate GPL'd software into
	commercial applications.  However, if you *modify* the GPL'd
	software, you *must* make said modifications freely available
	under the GPL also.  If you don't modify it, there is no issue.

	Also, just because a piece of code is GPL'd does *not* preclude
	the author from granting *separate* commercial licenses.  As
	the author for HTML Tree, I can grant as many any additional
	licenses under any terms I please.

	For example, if you wanted to use HTML Tree *and* make
	*proprietary* modifications, I'd be happy to charge you a
	licensing fee.  However, again, merely *using* GPL'd software
	*as-is* requires so such additional license.

	Please re-read the GPL.  FYI: I've also had correspondence with
	the FSF on such issues and the above is correct.

	- Paul

Re: [OT]: GPL (Was: Templating system)

Posted by Alex Farber <fa...@cpan.org>.
"Paul J. Lucas" wrote:
> > The ability to build commercial applications.
>
>         The GPL allows you to use and incorporate GPL'd software into
>         commercial applications.  However, if you *modify* the GPL'd
>         software, you *must* make said modifications freely available
>         under the GPL also.  If you don't modify it, there is no issue.

That's wrong: GPL regulates software distribution only.
If you modify a GPL-program for internal use, you don't
have to distribute your changes.

Regards
Alex

--