Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by preetika tyagi <pr...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/24 16:31:46 UTC

Impact on latency with larger memtable

Hi,

I'm experimenting with memtable/heap size on my Cassandra server to
understand how it impacts the latency/throughput for read requests.

I vary heap size (Xms and -Xmx) in jvm.options so memtable will be 1/4 of
this. When I increase the heap size and hence memtable, I notice the drop
in throughput and increase in latency. I'm also creating the database such
that its size doesn't exceed the size of memtable. Therefore, all data
exist in memtable and I'm not able to reason why bigger size of memtable is
resulting into higher latency/low throughput.

Since everything is DRAM, shouldn't the throughput/latency remain same in
all the cases?

Thanks,
Preetika

Re: Impact on latency with larger memtable

Posted by Nitan Kainth <ni...@bamlabs.com>.
Larger memtable means mor time during flushes and larger heap means longer GC pauses. You can see these in system log

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by preetika tyagi <pr...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for the response. I figured out the root cause.
I thought all my data was in memtable only but the data was actually being
dumped to the disk. That's why I was noticing the drop in throughput.

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.