Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/24 01:39:03 UTC

Release process & guide & checklist, was Fwd: [VOTE] Release SDO Java 1.0-incubating

Should we start thinking on a formal release guide, merging together
couple documents we already have as of today, and also creating a
checklist as it looks like couple release candidates are having the
same issues ?

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Luciano Resende wrote:
> Should we start thinking on a formal release guide, merging together
> couple documents we already have as of today, and also creating a
> checklist as it looks like couple release candidates are having the
> same issues ?

+1 - yes, most definitely.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: Release process & guide & checklist, was Fwd: [VOTE] Release SDO Java 1.0-incubating

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Let me come up with some initial document over the weekend, and we
could start providing feedback on top of that, also we could check if
there is going to be any value on that or not.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
snip..

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 7/24/07, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

<snip>

> - change builds to use the maven release plugin to avoid most of the manual
> steps when creating a release
> - use maven to as much as possible automate the adding of dependency
> information to the LICENSE and NOTICE files
> - update the RAT tool to validate the legal aspects
> (LICENSE/NOTICE/DISCLAIMER exist) of things like artifacts in the temp maven
> repository
> - update RAT to validate the signatures of all downloadable artifacts

i've talked to brett before about integrating parts of RAT into the
maven release plugin

jochen has developed a maven plugin but being able to pass or fail
relies on more function being added to RAT

i had hoped to be able to find more cycles now but IMAP is tough and a
personal priority (since i use it to read my mail) so i'm not sure
when i'll be able to find the cycles. SO any help on RAT would be
gratefully accepted ;-)

- robert

Re: Release process & guide & checklist, was Fwd: [VOTE] Release SDO Java 1.0-incubating

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 7/24/07, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> I agree we could do things to improve our releases. Most ASF releases end up
> having several RCs, its a natural part of the process, I'm not sure it
> indicates any failing somewhere.

IMHO when you use the RC method, having multiple RCs does not indicate
a failing. it really indicates that committers are carefully vetting
the candidates.

> There's already lots of doc about doing releases in the ASF - on the ASF
> main dev pages and within the Incubator site etc. If there's omissions from
> those existing guides we should get them updated. Tuscany having a 'formal
> release guide' makes me nervous it would just be used as a stick to beat
> people with when some issue is discovered. An issue with is that currently
> making our releases is quite a manual process, fixing this would be more
> worthwhile than writing more documentation (IMHO).

IMO there's a balance to be struck. each project develops it's own
house style for releases. recording this house style allows more
developers to act as release managers.

IMHO automation is difficult to perfect. recording the house style
helps to manage the automation process. though a worthy investment, it
is best to adopt an incremental approach. automate more but do not put
off automation or releases to wait for the other.

the incubator release guide is the next document on my personal hit
list. i'd like to see a menu of ways that releases are done at apache
allowing project to pick and choose their house style by combining a
number of well documentation alternatives. it'd be great if the
tuscany team would consider feeding any release documentation they
develop back into the release guide and create a style guide linked to
the details.

- robert

Re: Release process & guide & checklist, was Fwd: [VOTE] Release SDO Java 1.0-incubating

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
I agree we could do things to improve our releases. Most ASF releases end up
having several RCs, its a natural part of the process, I'm not sure it
indicates any failing somewhere. We've been restructuring our builds and
distributions recently, with changes like that going on there will be
wrinkles.

There's already lots of doc about doing releases in the ASF - on the ASF
main dev pages and within the Incubator site etc. If there's omissions from
those existing guides we should get them updated. Tuscany having a 'formal
release guide' makes me nervous it would just be used as a stick to beat
people with when some issue is discovered. An issue with is that currently
making our releases is quite a manual process, fixing this would be more
worthwhile than writing more documentation (IMHO).

So :-
- change builds to use the maven release plugin to avoid most of the manual
steps when creating a release
- use maven to as much as possible automate the adding of dependency
information to the LICENSE and NOTICE files
- update the RAT tool to validate the legal aspects
(LICENSE/NOTICE/DISCLAIMER exist) of things like artifacts in the temp maven
repository
- update RAT to validate the signatures of all downloadable artifacts

All those do require some effort and time though.

   ...ant