Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/12 17:51:23 UTC

Official Maven Github Actions

Hi,

The problems:

Currently, the official Github actions for building and testing Java with
Maven [1] don't offer a way to specify the Maven version a workflow can use.
Adding this support seems to be out of the scope of the
current actions/checkout@v2. [2].

In the Github actions market are already a couple of alternatives to
perform this setup [3] but are non-verified third parties actions.

Currently, in the Github actions market are cero verified Maven related
actions [5] but there are already a couple really useful maven related
actions beyond just the version settings [6]

Since early 2021, Apache related projects allows only verified actions to
be used in workflows.

The opportunity:
Base on the interaction with the Actions team [2] it seems Actions
verification can be done if the actions are created as part of the official
projects. For example Ruby setup action [4].

Before brainstorming in solution, creating a JIRA or a PR with draft
implementation, I would like to know if there is any interest within the
Maven community to offer to users certified Maven Github actions?

[1]
https://docs.github.com/en/actions/guides/building-and-testing-java-with-maven
[2] https://github.com/actions/setup-java/issues/40#issuecomment-778028611
[3] https://github.com/stCarolas/setup-maven
[4] https://github.com/ruby/setup-ruby
[5]
https://github.com/marketplace?query=maven&type=actions&verification=verified
[6] https://github.com/marketplace?after=Y3Vyc29yOjIw&query=maven
--
Atentamente:
César Hernández.

Re: Official Maven Github Actions

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
I am not an expert on GitHub actions but also saw this article from Andres
which is useful to deploy to Maven Central using GitHub Actions :
https://andresalmiray.com/publishing-to-maven-central-using-apache-maven/
(useful with the shutdown of JFrog's JCentral repo)

I think it may be good for the community if we could provide some best
practices / tools such a commonly used platform

I am not sure about the "verified", when I look at the ruby one it doesn't
look to be small thing to maintain and I am not sure our team will have
such bandwidth ( https://github.com/ruby/setup-ruby )

--
Arnaud Héritier
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: Official Maven Github Actions

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Side note: shrinkwrap has a loadSetting (no more 100% sure of the name)
method you can use in the code if -Dmy.setting is set so you can configure
it in surefire and tomee has some too in its Mvn wrapper IIRC so can be a
simpler way to align it all - maybe even using JMX to get JVM arg and
extract -gs/-s since it is a testing tool at the end.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andres Almiray <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi César,

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
I'm only aware of MNG-6887.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Falko Modler <f....@gmx.net>.
Hi all,

FWIW, a wrapper also doesn't help if you want to test extensions or
plugins with multiple Maven versions.
E.g.:
-
https://github.com/gitflow-incremental-builder/gitflow-incremental-builder/blob/master/.github/workflows/maven.yml#L105-L136
-
https://github.com/gitflow-incremental-builder/gitflow-incremental-builder/blob/master/.github/workflows/maven.yml#L144-L155

So in general I like the idea, if such actions are maintained properly.

Cheers,
Falko

Posted by Andres Almiray <aa...@gmail.com>.
Cesar,