Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/15 16:54:54 UTC

Subversion with VB6?

I'm about to roll out Subversion at my company and one of the two
applications I'm putting into my repository initially is a VB6 app.
Is there a Subversion plugin for VB6 (I think the interface is called
SCCC, been a few years since I looked at it last) so that we can
integrate our activity with the IDE?  Or would we be better off using
the regular SVN client, TortoiseSVN, etc. to pull manage the working
directory and forget about any VB6/SVN integration

I did a few searches to see if there's anything out there but came up
empty, barely found any discussion of the topic at all.  But I realize
that Subversion and corporate VB6 development run with very different
crowds for the most part.

Re: Subversion with VB6?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 11/15/05, Darko Miletic <da...@uvcms.com> wrote:
> Andy Levy wrote:
> > I'm about to roll out Subversion at my company and one of the two
> > applications I'm putting into my repository initially is a VB6 app.
> > Is there a Subversion plugin for VB6 (I think the interface is called
> > SCCC, been a few years since I looked at it last) so that we can
> > integrate our activity with the IDE?  Or would we be better off using
> > the regular SVN client, TortoiseSVN, etc. to pull manage the working
> > directory and forget about any VB6/SVN integration
>
> If you don't mind paying for it there is commercial product called SVN
> plugin. Take a look here:
>
> http://www.pushok.com/soft_svn.php

Given the amount of VB6 development we have (at least that I'm aware
of), we probably don't want to spend the money on it (even though it's
pretty cheap as development tools go).

> If not you will have to use TortoiseSVN. In fact I think that using
> TortoiseSVN gives you more power than any IDE plugin, but that is
> personal choice.

I was already planning on giving all interested parties TSVN, so no
problem there.  The less I need to install on a workstation the better
off we probably are, so I'll just stick with TSVN and pass on the VB6
plugin.  Thanks.

Re: Subversion with VB6?

Posted by Darko Miletic <da...@uvcms.com>.
Andy Levy wrote:
> I'm about to roll out Subversion at my company and one of the two
> applications I'm putting into my repository initially is a VB6 app.
> Is there a Subversion plugin for VB6 (I think the interface is called
> SCCC, been a few years since I looked at it last) so that we can
> integrate our activity with the IDE?  Or would we be better off using
> the regular SVN client, TortoiseSVN, etc. to pull manage the working
> directory and forget about any VB6/SVN integration

If you don't mind paying for it there is commercial product called SVN
plugin. Take a look here:

http://www.pushok.com/soft_svn.php

If not you will have to use TortoiseSVN. In fact I think that using
TortoiseSVN gives you more power than any IDE plugin, but that is
personal choice.

Darko

Re: Subversion with VB6?

Posted by Marcus Rohrmoser <mr...@gmx-gmbh.de>.
Sorry for not reading the whole thread before posting.

Darko is absolutely right.

Re: Subversion with VB6?

Posted by Marcus Rohrmoser <mr...@gmx-gmbh.de>.

Re: Subversion with VB6?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 11/15/05, Darko Miletic <da...@uvcms.com> wrote:
> Miha Vitorovic wrote:
> >
> > Why not use AnkhSVN, which works nicely with VisualStudio, which works
> > nicely for VB development? (But I don't know anything about VB development
> > :))
>
> That, in fact, is not entirely true. AnkhSVN works only with VS .NET
> 2002-2003. He is using VB6 thus he needs something compatible with
> Visual Studio 6. The only one that supports that is SVN plugin mentioned
> before.
>
> For details on that take a look here:
>
> http://ankhsvn.com/wiki/default.aspx/AnkhWiki.FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Thanks Darko.  I replied with almost exactly that yesterday but the
Reply-To isn't set to users@ so it only went to Miha.

Re: Subversion with VB6?

Posted by Darko Miletic <da...@uvcms.com>.

Re: Subversion with VB6?

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote on 15.11.2005 17:54:54:

> the regular SVN client, TortoiseSVN, etc. to pull manage the working
> directory and forget about any VB6/SVN integration
>
> I did a few searches to see if there's anything out there but came up
> empty, barely found any discussion of the topic at all.  But I realize
> that Subversion and corporate VB6 development run with very different
> crowds for the most part.

Why not use AnkhSVN, which works nicely with VisualStudio, which works
nicely for VB development? (But I don't know anything about VB development
:))

Cheers,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si