Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> on 2018/06/19 20:57:55 UTC

[DISCUSS] Blocking the creation of new Basic Networking zones

Hi,

We (PCextreme) are a big-time user of Basic Networking and recently
started to look into Advanced Networking with VLAN isolation and a
shared network.

This provides (from what we can see) all the features Basic Networking
provides, like the VR just doing DHCP and UserData while the Hypervisor
does the Security Grouping.

That made me wonder why we still have Basic Networking.

Dropping all the code would be a big problem for users as you can't
simply migrate from Basic to Advanced. In theory we found out that it's
possible by changing the database, but I wouldn't guarantee it works in
every use-case. So doing this automatically during a upgrade would be
difficult.

To prevent us from having to maintain the Basic Networking code for ever
I would like to propose and discuss the matter of preventing the
creation of new Basic Networking zones.

In the future this can get us rid of a lot of if-else statements in the
code and it would make testing also easier as we have few things to test.

Most of the development also seems to go in the Advanced Networking
direction.

We are currently also working on IPv6 in Advanced Shared Networks and
that's progressing very good as well.

Would this be something to call the 5.0 release where we simplify the
networking and in the UI/API get rid of Basic Networking while keeping
it alive for existing users?

Wido

Re: [DISCUSS] Blocking the creation of new Basic Networking zones

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Please propose a new network documentation page as part of this discussion.

If it  makes it more palatable to developers, we could rename the
documentation to "Use Cases".

That would make it easier to discuss the real impact on users of what is
being proposed.

The current network documentation is one of the biggest barriers to
entry and generates a lot of the traffic in the forum.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

RE: [DISCUSS] Blocking the creation of new Basic Networking zones

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
 +1

I would love to. But I'm a real novice when it comes to the UI though.
So that would be something I wouldn't be good at doing.

We all can help you with the UI. It is a little complicated at the
beginning because it is a JavaScript that generates HTML code. However, it
is doable.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:31 AM, Tutkowski, Mike <Mike.Tutkowski@netapp.com

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: [DISCUSS] Blocking the creation of new Basic Networking zones

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 06/20/2018 08:42 PM, ilya musayev wrote:
> I think the simplicity of Basic Zone was - you can get away with 1 VLAN
> for everything (great for POC setup) where as Advanced Shared with VLAN
> isolation requires several VLANs to get going.

Does it? I have Advanced Networking running with just vlan://untagged as
a broadcast domain.

Using VLAN 0 would be exactly the same since that's the default VLAN.

> How would we cover this use case?

By using 'untagged' as the VLAN number, don't we?

Wido

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 06/22/2018 08:04 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Good idea, but a lot of things supported in advanced zone with KVM may not be supported in case of VMware, XenServer etc. The larger refactoring will need to account for how in various places checks exists how behaviors are enforced when the zone is basic or not, and what kind of impact will it have on non-KVM users using basic zone (if any) along with having an upgrade path for such users.

I have no experience with VMWare nor XenServer, but doesn't Advanced
Networking with a Shared VLAN work the same on those?

> If the overall functionality is retained and a seamless upgrade path can be created a new major release 5.0 is not be necessary (that should be a different thread with inputs from various stakeholders on various topics).

A upgrade will be very difficult to convert a Basic Network to Advanced
as bridges on the HV need to be changed and this can vary per deployment.

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [DISCUSS] Blocking the creation of new Basic Networking zones

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Gabriel Beims Bräscher <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Blocking the creation of new Basic Networking zones

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
This one [1]?

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: [DISCUSS] Blocking the creation of new Basic Networking zones

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Blocking the creation of new Basic Networking zones

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Tutkowski, Mike" <Mi...@netapp.com>.

Posted by "Tutkowski, Mike" <Mi...@netapp.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
I never meant for this thread to de-rail into what should be CloudStack
5.0 :-)

I haven't heard any objections against the creation of new Basic
Networking Zones being prohibited, but hey, it's been <24 hours since I
send the first mail.

Wido

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
- When roles do not have access to some API methods, the buttons/links that
use these API methods should disappear from the interface.

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@heinlein-support.de>.
Hi!

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1