Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Chris Software <so...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/12 18:54:09 UTC

Future of IGFS.

Hello,

I have heard a rumor that IGFS will be dropped in the future.  Can anyone
confirm or deny, and tell me why or why not?  If there is a discussion
thread somewhere I would love a link.

Source:  alamar on StackOverflow

Thank you.

Re: Future of IGFS.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hello Chris,

IGFS was developed with the thinking that it would be a solution for Hadoop
acceleration. However, it was discovered in practice that the performance
benefits it gives are insignificant for production deployments. For
instance, based on my experience IGFS combined with Hadoop Accelerator
might show 20%, 30% sometimes 2x or even zero performance acceleration.
Plus, it required notable integration efforts.

IGFS failed to show *consistent* order of magnitude performance gains since
it's not enough just to put data in RAM. Your RAM-based storage has to be
tightly coupled with APIs used by the applications. With IGFS the storage
was Ignite while the APIs were developed by Hive, Impala, Pig, MapReduce,
etc.

That's why for Hadoop offloading use cases and real-time analytics deploy
Ignite in one of its standard configurations - Ignite with native
persistence enabled. Use Ignite SQL, compute grid, ML for the data located
in Ignite and Hadoop frameworks for HDFS data sets. Consider Spark as a
generic API that can go and merge data stored in both databases. More
details are in this discussion:
http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/SW-recommendation-Ignite-Native-Persistence-for-traditional-relational-data-warehouse-td28135.html

-
Denis