Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <re...@trialox.org> on 2010/05/05 12:58:15 UTC

Re: Scala scripting support (was Re: And another one ;-))

first I was in holidays and the I missed this thread, sorry for the late
reply.

I favor the variant with Apache Commons, I think this would allow as to do a
release as soon as we're ready without having to bother about the scala
process (obviously in the long run it should become just part of scala, but
till then its perfectly feasible to have a separate osgi and scripting
wrapper).

The implementation in clerezza does cache precompiled scripts, but initial
compiling is probably slower than it needs to be.

What are the steps to create a commons-project? what would the project be
commons-scala, commons-osgi or commons scripting?

Reto

Posted by Michael Dürig <mi...@day.com>.
Carsten,

The reason for the current approach has to do with SLING-945 [1]. I
didn't look at the Sling Commons classloader but I suppose it doesn't
fulfill the requirements of the Scala compiler. Proof me wrong, then I'm
happy to fix that... as soon as I'm done with other stuff :)

Michael

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-945

Posted by Michael Dürig <mi...@day.com>.
> One hand there's the runtime classloader, there the sling classloader
> might be used. Independent from this is the compiler classpath which
> in scala is different ans not a standard java-classloader.

The compile time classpath is where SLING-945 applies. See my other message.

> I'm not sure what the advantages of the sling-classloader is compared
> with the standard osgi-methods (including dynamic-import). Also I
> don't know if the sling classpath can easily be used independently of
> sling. My goal was to implement something without any framework
> dependency.

In the Scala scripting engine of Sling I implemented and abstraction
layer for such cases [1]. That is, the scripting engine itself does not
have any dependency on Sling. There are parametrization classes [2] in
Sling which adapt the scripting engine for Sling. We can put the Sling
classloader to use there. So other implementations wouldn't be affected.

Michael

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/sling/trunk/contrib/scripting/scala/script/src/main/scala/org/apache/sling/scripting/scala/ScriptInfo.scala?view=markup

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/sling/trunk/contrib/scripting/scala/script/src/main/scala/org/apache/sling/scripting/scala/SettingsProvider.scala?view=log

[2]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/sling/trunk/contrib/scripting/scala/config/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/scripting/scala/config/

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <re...@trialox.org>.
Hi Carsten

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Scala scripting support (was Re: And another one ;-))

Posted by Michael Dürig <mi...@day.com>.
Reto,

Thanks for providing a link to your work. I'm a bit busy with other
stuff at the moment so I can't promise to look into it right away.
Having work toward Scala 2.8 is great though!

AFAICS the Sling and the Clerezza code bases of the Scala scripting
engine are diverging a bit. It would be great if we could merge the best
of both worlds together on the long run. I think a good approach would
be to do that at the scripting engine's "new home" and then take it from
there for the individual projects. WDYT?

Michael

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <re...@trialox.org>.
Hello