Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2014/01/10 15:45:56 UTC

# node name and other addressing stuff - was Re: How to use lifetime policies

On 10/01/14 10:24, Gordon Sim wrote:

> You can create a temporary queue when using the qpid::messaging client
> by simply specifying '#' as the node name in the address when creating
> the receiver or sender. You can get the peer-assigned address (for use
> in reply-to) via the getAddress() method on the Sender or Receiver
> instance that is returned.

Out of curiosity........
where is the "specifying '#' as the node name" stuff specified?

I've also noticed the use of $ in the AMQP 1.0 Management spec, and
there's the use of "~" in messenger e.g. "~amqp://0.0.0.0" to specify a
listen connection.

I've grepped around the AMQP 1.0 spec and the draft Address spec and
couldn't find these - well to be fair there were a lot of "#" in the
AMQP 1.0 spec, but that was in the ASCII art diagrams :->

Much of this stuff remains a bit of a black art to me I'm afraid :-(

Cheers,
Frase

Re: # node name and other addressing stuff - was Re: How to use lifetime policies

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 01/10/2014 03:30 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:
> Cheers Rob, glad to know I wasn't *totally* losing my marbles and this
> stuff really *is* a black art :'(
> Well "glad" in the loosest sense, totally agree with your last sentence!

> On 10/01/14 14:55, Rob Godfrey wrote:
>> So, definitely seems like we (Qpid) could use some more documentation
>> then

There is an AMQP_1.0 readme in the cpp directory. That describes the
mapping of the API to AMQP 1.0 including the use of '#'.

I agree it is not in the most obvious place or the most useful format yet.

Part of the problem I find is that it is quite hard to modify the
documentation we do have. This isn't just the process required, though
that feels more complicated than it needs to be also. Its also the
structure of the existing documents.

Re: # node name and other addressing stuff - was Re: How to use lifetime policies

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Shearer, Davin" <ds...@novetta.com>.
grepping around proton-c for '#' comes up dry.  If # isn't sent over the
wire, I'd expect to see it dealt with somewhere in the source code.

[davin@centos6 proton-c]$ grep '#' src/*.c include/proton/*.h | grep -v ':#'

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/10/2014 02:45 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:
>
>> On 10/01/14 10:24, Gordon Sim wrote:
>>

>>> You can create a temporary queue when using the qpid::messaging client
>>> by simply specifying '#' as the node name in the address when creating
>>> the receiver or sender. You can get the peer-assigned address (for use
>>> in reply-to) via the getAddress() method on the Sender or Receiver
>>> instance that is returned.
>>>

>> Out of curiosity........
>> where is the "specifying '#' as the node name" stuff specified?
>>

> That isn't sent over the wire in any way. It is just part of the
> qpid::messaging supported syntax. However the AMQP 1.0 it results in is
> completely standard. The same syntax works for 0-10 also (see e.g.the
> client/server example).
>
> (There are options to qpid::messaging that result in non-standard
> interaction where required to support some existing functionality, but this
> is not one of them).

Davin Shearer
Engineer

8830 Stanford Blvd, Suite 306
Columbia, MD 21045

443-741-4517

Re: # node name and other addressing stuff - was Re: How to use lifetime policies

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.