Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Christoph P.U. Kukulies" <ku...@kukulies.org> on 2016/01/22 14:06:38 UTC

switching between Java8 and Java 7 under tomcat7 leads to error

Windows 7:

Today I installed Java 8 on my windows 7 machine and did an upgrade of
the CMS at the same time (from OpenCMS 9.5.2 to 9.5.3).
After the Java update and the CMS update suddenly my tomcat 6.0.39
didn't start any longer. The service gave an error at start time:

Der Dienst "Apache Tomcat 6.0 Tomcat6" wurde mit folgendem
dienstspezifischem Fehler beendet: Unzulässige Funktion..

My thoughts came to tomcat6 possibly not being compatible with Java8 and
so I decided to install tomcat 7.0 which started fine.

When starting my CMS system again I now found that it did some
unpleasant things for which I wanted to rule out tomcat7 being the culprit
and switch the jvm.dll in the tomcat7 configurator to the jre1.7 jvm.dll.

Then suddenly I got the same error as under tomcat6.0 when I tried to
start tomcat7 again.

Could it be that the Java8 installer screws the existing Java 7 ? Or
does it change some global parameters that tomcat reads at start time.

Thanks.

--
Christoph

Re: switching between Java8 and Java 7 under tomcat7 leads to error

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> Windows 7:
>
> Today I installed Java 8 on my windows 7 machine and did an upgrade of the
> CMS at the same time (from OpenCMS 9.5.2 to 9.5.3).
> After the Java update and the CMS update suddenly my tomcat 6.0.39 didn't
> start any longer. The service gave an error at start time:
>
> Der Dienst "Apache Tomcat 6.0 Tomcat6" wurde mit folgendem
> dienstspezifischem Fehler beendet: Unzulässige Funktion..
>
> My thoughts came to tomcat6 possibly not being compatible with Java8 and so
> I decided to install tomcat 7.0 which started fine.
>
> When starting my CMS system again I now found that it did some unpleasant
> things for which I wanted to rule out tomcat7 being the culprit
> and switch the jvm.dll in the tomcat7 configurator to the jre1.7 jvm.dll.
>
> Then suddenly I got the same error as under tomcat6.0 when I tried to start
> tomcat7 again.
>
> Could it be that the Java8 installer screws the existing Java 7 ? Or does it
> change some global parameters that tomcat reads at start time.

1. That "The service "Apache Tomcat 6.0 Tomcat6" terminated with
service-specific error: Incorrect function .." error (thanks to Google
Translate)  is coming from service wrapper, not from Tomcat itself.

Tomcat own errors are logged into textual log files, they are not
shown as a message window. See the log files in Tomcat's logs
directory. There is separate file for the service there.

Note that service wrapper (tomcat6.exe, tomcat7.exe) must be the same
32 vs 64 bit version as the Java jvm dll that you are using.  My guess
is that this mismatch is the reason for the error that you are
observing.

The Tomcat-[version].exe installer automatically detects 32 vs. 64bit
architecture by the jvm that you choose during installation, and
installs that version of wrapper.  If you download Tomcat as a zip
file, the only difference between "32-bit" and "64-bit" Windows zip
archives is the version of service wrapper and the version of
tc-native.dll.

2. If no jvm.dll is configured, or configured jvm.dll is not found
then the service wrapper tries to use the default (latest) JVM
configured in the system.

That default jvm changes when you upgrade from java 7 to java 8.

Also Java 8 installer usually asks (prompts) you to uninstall old
versions of java. You may have uninstalled the old version and it is
no longer found.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: switching between Java8 and Java 7 under tomcat7 leads to error

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 1/25/2016 12:34 PM, George Sexton wrote:

> On 1/25/2016 3:52 AM, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
>> Thanks. Will give that a try.
>>
>> How can I tell, which java engine Tomcat is actually using?
>>
>> At a CMD prompt I'm getting:
>>

>> C:\> java -version
>> java version "1.8.0_71"
>> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.71-b15, mixed mode)
>
> If you have a utility that shows what open files the Tomcat process
> has, that would work. Alternatively, get the Manager application
> running and see what information it provides under the Server Status
> screen.

Also, the Tomcat Windows Service Installer includes a configuration
utility (I'm not sure about the zip downloads).  In the Java tab of the
utility, the JVM may be selected.

-Terence Bandoian
/http://www.tmbsw.com/
/

Posted by Karl Hauschildt <ka...@gmail.com>.
Be careful. The only real way to know what tomcat is using is to get into
the manager who will display the java version it is using. Their startup
script makes some determination on the fly.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> Am 26.01.2016 um 09:36 schrieb Christoph P.U. Kukulies:

>>> If you have a utility that shows what open files the Tomcat process has,
>>> that would work. Alternatively, get the Manager application running and see
>>> what information it provides under the Server Status screen.
>>>

>> That made me ask myself, whether the parameters and settings I can see and
>> set through the manager (tomcat6w.exe) are those that the
>> Windows7 service really "sees" at startup.
>>
>> Would like to have added -Xmx768m to the startup parameters. Looking into
>> the registry HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\tomcat6
>> I can only see the ImagePath that is started ("c:\Program
>> Files\Apache_Group\Tomcat_6.0.39\bin\tomcat6.exe" //RS//Tomcat6), the
>> paramters
>> Key is empty.
>>
>> Or does tomcat6w write these parameters elsewhere?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Sorry, discard my question above. I forgot for the moment that -Xmx is a
> Java parameter, not Tomcat.
> Nonetheless would be interesting to know, where the configurator puts its
> parameter settings and
> how one can control whether the jvm parameters are really effective.

The settings are written into Windows Registry
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-daemon/procrun.html

The service runner has debug logging, that you can enable via GUI (tomcat6w.exe)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: switching between Java8 and Java 7 under tomcat7 leads to error

Posted by "Christoph P.U. Kukulies" <ku...@kukulies.org>.
Am 26.01.2016 um 10:40 schrieb André Warnier (tomcat):
> On 26.01.2016 10:19, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:

>>> That made me ask myself, whether the parameters and settings I can
>>> see and set through
>>> the manager (tomcat6w.exe) are those that the
>>> Windows7 service really "sees" at startup.
>>>
>>> Would like to have added -Xmx768m to the startup parameters. Looking
>>> into the registry
>>> HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\tomcat6
>>> I can only see the ImagePath that is started ("c:\Program
>>> Files\Apache_Group\Tomcat_6.0.39\bin\tomcat6.exe" //RS//Tomcat6),
>>> the paramters
>>> Key is empty.
>>>
>>> Or does tomcat6w write these parameters elsewhere?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Sorry, discard my question above. I forgot for the moment that -Xmx
>> is a Java parameter,
>> not Tomcat.
>> Nonetheless would be interesting to know, where the configurator puts
>> its parameter
>> settings and
>> how one can control whether the jvm parameters are really effective.
>>
>> --
>> Christoph
>>

> Maybe time to read the FAQ ?
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q11

OK, fine. I read it and understood about tomcat6.exe being a wrapper
that starts the jvm etc.
Explains a lot.
Logging is fine also. This enabled me to discover that the jvm options
have to put in one line one by one.
I had -Xms512m - Xmx1024m in one line causing the service start to fail.

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by "Christoph P.U. Kukulies" <ku...@kukulies.org>.

Posted by "Christoph P.U. Kukulies" <ku...@kukulies.org>.

Posted by George Sexton <ge...@mhsoftware.com>.

On 1/25/2016 3:52 AM, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
> Thanks. Will give that a try.
>
> How can I tell, which java engine Tomcat is actually using?
>
> At a CMD prompt I'm getting:
>

> C:\> java -version
> java version "1.8.0_71"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.71-b15, mixed mode)

If you have a utility that shows what open files the Tomcat process has,
that would work. Alternatively, get the Manager application running and
see what information it provides under the Server Status screen.

> --
> Christoph
>

> At Am 22.01.2016 um 18:28 schrieb George Sexton:
>>

>> On 1/22/2016 6:06 AM, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
>>> Windows 7:
>>>
>>> Today I installed Java 8 on my windows 7 machine and did an upgrade
>>> of the CMS at the same time (from OpenCMS 9.5.2 to 9.5.3).
>>> After the Java update and the CMS update suddenly my tomcat 6.0.39
>>> didn't start any longer. The service gave an error at start time:
>>>
>>> Der Dienst "Apache Tomcat 6.0 Tomcat6" wurde mit folgendem
>>> dienstspezifischem Fehler beendet: Unzulässige Funktion..
>>>

>> I've seen this on Windows when upgrading the JRE. The solution that
>> worked for me (multiple times) was to uninstall Java, and then
>> re-install it. Make sure you grab the correct version (x86, x64) to
>> go with your Tomcat install.
>>

>>> My thoughts came to tomcat6 possibly not being compatible with Java8
>>> and so I decided to install tomcat 7.0 which started fine.
>>>
>>> When starting my CMS system again I now found that it did some
>>> unpleasant things for which I wanted to rule out tomcat7 being the
>>> culprit
>>> and switch the jvm.dll in the tomcat7 configurator to the jre1.7
>>> jvm.dll.
>>>
>>> Then suddenly I got the same error as under tomcat6.0 when I tried
>>> to start tomcat7 again.
>>>
>>> Could it be that the Java8 installer screws the existing Java 7 ? Or
>>> does it change some global parameters that tomcat reads at start time.
>>>

>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christoph

George Sexton
*MH Software, Inc.*
Voice: 303 438 9585
http://www.mhsoftware.com

Re: switching between Java8 and Java 7 under tomcat7 leads to error

Posted by "Christoph P.U. Kukulies" <ku...@kukulies.org>.
Thanks. Will give that a try.

Posted by George Sexton <ge...@mhsoftware.com>.

On 1/22/2016 6:06 AM, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
> Windows 7:
>
> Today I installed Java 8 on my windows 7 machine and did an upgrade of
> the CMS at the same time (from OpenCMS 9.5.2 to 9.5.3).
> After the Java update and the CMS update suddenly my tomcat 6.0.39
> didn't start any longer. The service gave an error at start time:
>
> Der Dienst "Apache Tomcat 6.0 Tomcat6" wurde mit folgendem
> dienstspezifischem Fehler beendet: Unzulässige Funktion..

I've seen this on Windows when upgrading the JRE. The solution that
worked for me (multiple times) was to uninstall Java, and then
re-install it. Make sure you grab the correct version (x86, x64) to go
with your Tomcat install.

> My thoughts came to tomcat6 possibly not being compatible with Java8
> and so I decided to install tomcat 7.0 which started fine.
>
> When starting my CMS system again I now found that it did some
> unpleasant things for which I wanted to rule out tomcat7 being the
> culprit
> and switch the jvm.dll in the tomcat7 configurator to the jre1.7 jvm.dll.
>
> Then suddenly I got the same error as under tomcat6.0 when I tried to
> start tomcat7 again.
>
> Could it be that the Java8 installer screws the existing Java 7 ? Or
> does it change some global parameters that tomcat reads at start time.
>

> Thanks.
>
> --
> Christoph

George Sexton
*MH Software, Inc.*
Voice: 303 438 9585
http://www.mhsoftware.com

Re: switching between Java8 and Java 7 under tomcat7 leads to error

Posted by "Christoph P.U. Kukulies" <ku...@kukulies.org>.
Am 22.01.2016 um 14:29 schrieb David kerber:
> On 1/22/2016 8:06 AM, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
>> Windows 7:
>>
>> Today I installed Java 8 on my windows 7 machine and did an upgrade of
>> the CMS at the same time (from OpenCMS 9.5.2 to 9.5.3).
>> After the Java update and the CMS update suddenly my tomcat 6.0.39
>> didn't start any longer. The service gave an error at start time:
>>
>> Der Dienst "Apache Tomcat 6.0 Tomcat6" wurde mit folgendem
>> dienstspezifischem Fehler beendet: Unzulässige Funktion..
>>
>> My thoughts came to tomcat6 possibly not being compatible with Java8 and
>> so I decided to install tomcat 7.0 which started fine.
>>
>> When starting my CMS system again I now found that it did some
>> unpleasant things for which I wanted to rule out tomcat7 being the
>> culprit
>> and switch the jvm.dll in the tomcat7 configurator to the jre1.7
>> jvm.dll.
>>
>> Then suddenly I got the same error as under tomcat6.0 when I tried to
>> start tomcat7 again.
>>
>> Could it be that the Java8 installer screws the existing Java 7 ? Or
>> does it change some global parameters that tomcat reads at start time.
>
> If you take the default installation location and do not allow it to
> remove the old one, Java 8 will not alter your java 7 installation.
>
> However, which java is found if you do not explicitly specify which
> one to run, may change.  Try dropping to a command prompt, and type
>
> java -version
>

> That will tell you which one is the default.  If your app needs a
> different one, you will have to specify it.

Thanks. Java -version gives

U:\>java -version
java version "1.8.0_71"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.71-b15, mixed mode)

So could tomcat6 been puzzled by this? The tomcat6 configurator had most
probably the 7.0 jvm configured, wouldn't it?
Since the java 8 installer would not mess with tomcat6 configuration.
Iin other words: can I conclude that the java8 update (which preserved
java7) cannot be the reason why tomcat6 didn't start.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.