Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jeremy Howard <jh...@fastmail.fm> on 2001/12/05 00:48:13 UTC

mod_proxy 2.0 as a store-and forward HTTP accelerator?

I use mod_proxy (from latest httpd 1.3.x) as an HTTP accelerator with a
mod_perl backend. However, this has a major problem in that any time POST
data is greater than our TCP buffer, or returned data is greater than our
TCP buffer, mod_proxy spoons the data through to the client a bit at a time,
causing our mod_perl process to stay alive for the entire duration of the
transfer.

What I'd prefer is a store-and-forward mechanism, where data greater than
the TCP buffer was stored onto the file system until it was all complete, so
that the mod_perl process never has wait for slow clients to finish
sending/receiving data. With 1.3.x this patch provided store-and-forward for
POSTs:

Does mod_proxy 2.0 provide a mechanism for getting around this problem for
both the POST data and also for transfers from server to client?