Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@seaborne.org> on 2018/09/19 10:54:06 UTC

Towards Jena 3.9.0

Is targeting end of this month / early next OK for everyone?

This release would also remove the distributions of Fuseki1, and SDB.
They are still there, but not as zip files.

The build process may need tweaks to conform to the new requirement of
no MD5 and no SHA1 on /dist/jena as part of the ASF de-emphasising the
vulnerable SHA1 - MD5 is already not allowed.

I'm happy to RM this release (I can do it on $job time) or alternatively
help someone else do it for the first time.

One change I'd like to do is to reorganise the Fusek2 modules.
JENA-1597 PR #468. I don't know whether many people directly consume the
modules. (I nearly said no one would, then found one - it unpacks the
war file.)

This is to more cleanly separate the webapp/war file version and the
embedded version. I'd like to call them "full" and "main". For added
featuyre use, the "main" version is much easier to package and extend.

The new module structure would be:

* jena-fuseki-core : the servlets and registries

The full server:

* jena-fuseki-webapp : the web application: UI, admin
* jena-fuseki-war : package webapp as a WAR file.
* jena-fuseki-fulljar : package webapp as a standalone server

The main server:
* jena-fuseki-main : Current embedded/basic forms in one module.
* jena-fuseki-access : Graph access control (see JENA-1594)
* jena-fuseki-server : The main server as a combined shared jar.

Download:
* apache-jena-fuseki : the full server, standalone and war file
                        (unchanged).

The maven module name "jena-fuseki-server" is repurposed from shading
the webapp as par tof the dist building (proposed: "jena-fuseki-fulljar"
) to shading the "embedded/basic->main" server.

A new module is JENA-1594 / jena-fuseki-access - graph level access
control, only for the main server currently.

     Andy

Looking at tickets marked "resolved", those that seemed most notable:

JENA-1594
Provide per-graph access control in Fuseki
(needs documentation and ideally some wrapping to make it easier to use).

JENA-1593
Update Apache parent POM to v21

JENA-1585
Reorganize the Fuseki codebase to split the server engine classes from
the webapp classes

JENA-1573
Remove the jena-fuseki1 distribution

JENA-1571
Remove the jena-sdb distribution.

JENA-1481
Deleting dataset in Fuseki does not delete dataset permanently

JENA-868
Fuseki2: docker: Redirected ports lead to wrong URLs.

Re: Towards Jena 3.9.0

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
More issues including a logging implementation.

Setting to "<scope>test" in the parent, then adding it as <scope>compile
  does not seem to work with some plugins.

On 27/09/18 17:40, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> FYI
>
> First attempt didn't work out.
>
> The apache-jena/lib/ didn't have slf4j-log4j or log4j jar files.
>
> This is because these are now "<optional>true" in the parent (JENA-1595)
> so apache-jena (the distribution) does not pick them up.

Misspoke.
JENA-1595 was going from "optional" to "<scope>test"

Setting to "<scope>test" in the parent, then adding it as <scope>compile
  does not seem to work with some plugins - even when dependency:tree
shows the jars to be :compile, they do not get included the combined war
file.  Maybe I haven't got the setting right but my current guess is
that inheritance and dependency interact, with inheritance overriding
dependency.  And "<scope>runtime" causes the shade plugin to crash with
an NPE.

At this point, I'll back out JENA-1595 and try to get something working
for the release that is safe, possibly with over some dependency
leakage.  After release, I can try other ways of managing the logging
for cmds/war/fulljar and also the tests at the moment they look like
they need time to validate.

     Andy

Re: Towards Jena 3.9.0

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
FYI

Re: Towards Jena 3.9.0

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: Towards Jena 3.9.0

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Towards Jena 3.9.0

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Maven module changes on master : IDEs working with the Apache source
impacted.

I applied JENA-1597 PR #468

     Andy