Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au> on 2006/10/12 13:49:15 UTC

Re: The mod_python wiki has materialized!

Anyone had any thoughts on how we are going to use the wiki?

 From prior comments it looks like we can't use it for the mod_python
documentation if we intend to then ship a snapshot of the
documentation with a release. I am not sure we are precluded
from still using it for the documentation, it just means that we could
not also include it in the release.

To my mind this is possibly okay, as once the documentation was
shifted to the wiki, wasn't thinking that a snapshot would be included
with the release anyway.

It is just a pity that the ASF doesn't use Confluence (the companion
wiki product for JIRA), as the fine grained security mechanisms in
that could have been used to protect the core documentation and
prevent modification by people who shouldn't. I know that MoinMoin
has fine grained access permissions as well, but from my experience
it is a bit harder to configure as it requires changes to a file based
configuration file to setup the default policy. Requiring this means
intervention of the ASF infrastructure people and they are possibly
too busy as it is. How individual page access and groups are setup
with MoinMoin is also a fiddly process. At lease with Confluence such
things are all controllable through the web interface and somewhat
easier to manage. That MoinMoin is fiddly to setup is possibly why
they recommend a separate wiki space for the protected documentation
as then the default policy can be just to let the selected users edit
the pages and one doesn't have to worry about manipulating
access on individual pages.

Graham

Posted by solo turn <so...@gmail.com>.
why would you use jira/confluence, if there is edgewall trac and
moinmoin? these two would benefit from mod_python, while
jira/confluence has nothing to do with it.

-solo

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>.

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
+1

Sounds like a good plan.

Jim

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>.

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.

Posted by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>.
I spoke too soon. The ASF has:

   http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/homepage.action

Now I am confused as to what roles MoinMoin fills versus the
Confluence wiki.

Can anyone fill me in on the roles of each?

Graham