Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Matej <gm...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/29 20:51:58 UTC

Recommended ORM for 7

First of all congrats for release.

Probably something many would like to know, is which ORM is
recommended/reliable to get the JEE 7 features.Default OpenJpa probably
isnt ready right? So then Plume?  Or manual lib upgrade with Hibernate?

Thanks!

Re: Recommended ORM for 7

Posted by hwaastad <he...@waastad.org>.
Yes it is :-)

Performance wise, ebeans is a very nice upgrade from eclipselink.
(did a simple optimisticlock @retry test running 40 threads in parallell
updating a counter variable in an entity. eclipselink needed 18 retries,
ebeans: 4 :-))

I would also say fluid query statements (via querybeans) also is a nice
feature (more readable than criteriabuilder, at least)

/hw

Re: Recommended ORM for 7

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
didn't try but
https://github.com/ebean-orm/avaje-ebeanorm/blob/cb347ff5fabc67034812678769202eee05bea568/src/main/java/com/avaje/ebeaninternal/server/transaction/JtaTransactionManager.java
is plain EE and tomee has these JNDI entries so should be smooth to use.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: Recommended ORM for 7

Re: Recommended ORM for 7

Posted by Karl Kildén <ka...@gmail.com>.
If you use JSF I would just add Eclipselink or Hibernate otherwise Plume.

EclipseLink allows loading lazy relationships as long as the connection is
still available so you rarely have issues with lazy loading. Instead you
have more issues with N+1, we use x-rebel to catch that.

EclipseLink has a couple of query hints that are really effective all
though superfluous with the new EntityGraph. However the EntityGraph is
still buggy for me.

Hibernate is very known and used. However not only as JPA provider but with
Hibernate API directly causing many stackoverflow answers or code snippets
to be out of date and style. Also caused by their API that changing quite a
bit over time.

Overall I am happy with Eclipselink but I think it's not bad going with
either. I saw that TomEE had a dist with it and also that several users
where happy with it so I tried it and liked it.

Re: Recommended ORM for 7

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.