Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/04 16:07:40 UTC

Graduation?

It's been a while since we've had a graduation discussion.

I've seen good progress in the community. Would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others. Do we feel the community is ready for graduation? Or is additional work required? If there are requirements to be met, what is being done to address these requirements? "incubation" is not a permanent process. If we're lacking aspects required for graduation and not making progressing on addressing these issues, we need to consider the alternative of ending the graduation process...

--kevan

Re: Graduation?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Sep 6, 2011, at 10:22 AM, James O'Dell wrote:

> On 9/4/2011 4:55 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:07 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>>> It's been a while since we've had a graduation discussion.
>>>
>>> I've seen good progress in the community. Would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others. Do we feel the community is ready for graduation? Or is additional work required? If there are requirements to be met, what is being done to address these requirements? "incubation" is not a permanent process. If we're lacking aspects required for graduation and not making progressing on addressing these issues, we need to consider the alternative of ending the graduation process…
>>
>> I think that the community activity on this group is pretty good.  I wish there were some diversity.  This project has most of it's members being NCSU employees and I'l worried that if NCSU "pulled the plug" on their efforts the project would not survive.
>>
>> As it stands the project would not have my support for graduation.   I'm not intransigent on this and am willing to discuss other viewpoints, if there are any.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>

> I certainly see NCSU as the leader in VCL, and I do see their
> continued support as key to the success of the project.
> I'm just wondering if the project were to graduate(It certainly
> seems stable enough to), if that wouldn't generate more diversity
> via greater exposure.

Unfortunately the diversity must be there before it graduates.  We can't graduate the polling and hope for the best, this is what the Incubator is all about.

> As a point, our vice president of information technology is
> scheduled to give a presentation at EduCause this October.
> VCL is his the topic. I'm hoping this will generate some buzz.

I'm happy to wait until October to see if the rest of the project does as well.  However, I think we face the fact that this project has been around for quite a long time and has not attracted new committers.  Maybe the project could park at GitHub, or somewhere, and if and when the it becomes diverse enough it could come back; if it still wanted to.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Graduation?

Posted by James O'Dell <jo...@fullerton.edu>.

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
I agree with the diversity point and would also like to see more
diversity among the community developers.

I don't see NCSU stopping our efforts on VCL development, but that is
just my view point.  NCSU has a great deal invested in our time,
resources, and other research projects using VCL services. In addition
the NCSU population would not be very happy if VCL was discontinued.
Our usage numbers for last week hit close to 6000 reservations for
over 2500 users.

Anyone in the community who is interested in getting more involved in
the development process, please don't hesitate to speak up either on
the list(preferred method) or directly to any of the active
developers(myself, Andy Kurth, or Josh Thompson). We can guide you
through the process of getting more involved. We'd love to hear from
you.

Thanks,
Aaron

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Art Vandenberg <av...@gsu.edu>.
thanks.  Will look to JIRA then.
Art

On Sep 8, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Josh Thompson wrote:

Art Vandenberg
Account Manager/Research Function
Customer Relations, IS&T
Information Systems & Technology
Georgia State University
avandenberg@gsu.edu
+1 404 413 4743
MS Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech
MVA Painting & Drawing, Georgia State
Web page: http://www.gsu.edu/ist/acs/25735.html

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 8, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Josh Thompson wrote:

>> Is there a place where such features are listed?
>>
>> thanks
>> Art
>
> There are 2 places for these types of features to be listed right now.  One is
> to look at the roadmap listed on the latest release page.  However, those
> features are more high level and rather involved.
>
> The other is in our JIRA system.  Anyone can create new issues there.  There
> are various types of issues that can be created, most notable are:
>
> Bug
> Improvement
> New Feature
>
> So, what I would suggest is to create a "New Feature" issue for anything you'd
> like to see added to VCL.  Issues can be voted on.  Anyone else wanting the
> same feature can vote for them so that they become a higher priority to the
> rest of the community.

Good discussions.

A good time to review -- http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community

Also, http://incubator.apache.org/guides/community.html Particularly http://incubator.apache.org/guides/community.html#notes-community

Active committers -- the easier you can make it for someone to contribute, the more people will help. It seems there is a good user base. You need to help foster developers/contributors in this community:

* actively advertise things that need to be done
* don't fix everything (especially simpler tasks that are good for newcomers)
* praise contributions
* ask, beg, borrow for contributions
* use social media -- twitter, facebook, etc.
* is there a VCL irc channel? if not, consider using one
* freshen up the web site -- http://incubator.apache.org/vcl/

Note that "contributions" need not be in the form of "code". Documentation, web site, answering user questions -- all are valuable contributions to the community.

--kevan

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu>.
I too am ramping up a pilot here at Virginia Tech and expect to be able to
contribute more in the future. I have incomplete code for the frontend that
adds support for IPv6. (I have also fixed a bug in IPv4 validity checking
which I need to check in but the fix is in the context of the IPv6 code.) I
will be moving on to the backend IPv6 code next. I would request that the
Foundation to be generous in allowing the project to continue flowering. I
think we will get there.

Mark

--
Mark Gardner

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Art Vandenberg <av...@gsu.edu>.

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

On Thursday September 08, 2011, Kevan Miller wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:55 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> > On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:07 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> >> It's been a while since we've had a graduation discussion.
> >>
> >> I've seen good progress in the community. Would be interested in hearing
> >> the thoughts of others. Do we feel the community is ready for
> >> graduation? Or is additional work required? If there are requirements
> >> to be met, what is being done to address these requirements?
> >> "incubation" is not a permanent process. If we're lacking aspects
> >> required for graduation and not making progressing on addressing these
> >> issues, we need to consider the alternative of ending the graduation
> >> process…
> >
> > I think that the community activity on this group is pretty good.  I wish
> > there were some diversity.  This project has most of it's members being
> > NCSU employees and I'l worried that if NCSU "pulled the plug" on their
> > efforts the project would not survive.
> >
> > As it stands the project would not have my support for graduation.   I'm
> > not intransigent on this and am willing to discuss other viewpoints, if
> > there are any.
>
> Thanks Alan. I think we're largely in agreement. I've been encouraged by
> the level of activity and discussions within the community.
>
> I share the diversity concern (it's my only concern, at the moment). Like
> you, I'd be reluctant to support graduation without some growth and
> additional participation in the community. Unfortunately, we've been in
> this state for a while and I'm worried that it isn't going to change
> anytime soon...
>
> --kevan

The diversity issue has been my concern since we moved the codebase to ASF.  I
do think the community will eventually grow enough to not be dependent on a
single institution's involvement.  It's just a really slow process to get
there.  VCL is a large system, and it's not something a developer would just
decide to jump in and start working on without having the infrastructure to

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Graduation?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Graduation?