Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Nick Couchman <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/08/02 13:42:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Development of Guacamole Administrative Improvements

Well, got one person's feedback on the user list, so far, with some of his suggestions on administrative improvements to the Guacamole client.  Looks like most of it is stuff we already have JIRA issues for, but I'll try to distill it down to some individual items:
-> User Groups - This is probably the item I've seen requested most, and, coming from the administrative side, I certainly understand the need.  Current JIRA issue for this is GUACAMOLE-220.  From one of Mike's comments in here, it sounds like maybe he wants to do some major reworking of the permissions model, so not sure what all is intended there.  Mike?  Along with this there was a request to allow users to be administrators of groups and group members - delegated permissions model.
-> User/Group Import - Ability to suck in data from an external data source - CSV, LDIF, LDAP, something like that - to populate user and group data inside the JDBC module.  This can already be done DB-side using some scripting, but I think folks are looking for the ability to do this within the Web UI.
-> User/Group Autocreate - Some sort of flag (in the JDBC module) to auto-create the user accounts when a user successfully logs in via another module.  This is useful when layering JDBC with LDAP, for example, so that permissions can be assigned to users who are able to log in without the need to manually create them in the JDBC module, first.
-> User/Group Bulk Updating - Ability to do things like (re)set passwords, lock/unlock accounts, assign expiration dates, assign group membership (eventually), and/or assign connection permissions to users via some sort of bulk method (checkboxes next to username, a select box, etc.), instead of having to go into each one individually.  GUACAMOLE-181 is related to this - it's more high-level, allowing selection of multiple items, but I think the ability to do something with that selection also goes along with it.
-> Connection Bulk Updating - Like user/group bulk updates, ability to select a bunch of connections and then alter things about them - either attributes or parameters - concurrently.  GUACAMOLE-181 is related to this.
-> Connection Templates - Ability to define attributes/parameters for one connection and then point others at that connection and have those items inherited by the connection.  GUACAMOLE-248 is for this - it is currently closed, but I have already done some work on it and actually have a mostly-working implementation of it that could be ready for a PR with not too much more work.  I can re-open it and submit the PR if we think this is a good direction to go.
-> Connection Prompting & On-Demand Connections - GUACAMOLE-221 is an enhancement for parameter prompting.  I've done some of the work on that, but need to finish it up.  GUACAMOLE-38 is related, but is for on-demand connections - the ability to connect directly without having to pre-define the connection.  This one was closed as a duplicate of -221 - I reopened it, and have an extension written that supports this, just not sure what the consensus is on whether that's desirable or too much duplication with parameter prompting.
So, for each of these items, we need to decide if they are things we actually want to implement, and then discuss the level of effort required to do them and maybe even get some volunteers for each of the items.  If one of the above items requires its own thread for discussion how it should be accomplished, feel free to kick it into a new thread.
Let the discussion begin...
-Nick

Re: RES: [DISCUSS] Development of Guacamole Administrative Improvements

Posted by Nick Couchman <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Thiago,Not much discussion on the Dev side from this, but some of these are items I've been working on and should have some PRs ready before too long.
-Nick
== He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God? --Micah 6:8-- ==

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 11:42:21 AM EDT, Thiago dos Santos Nunes <th...@DIGITALINFORMATICA.COM.BR> wrote:

Any progress on this discussion? Please, don´t let die this amazing things!

Stay with GOD!
Aude et Effice!

Posted by Thiago dos Santos Nunes <th...@DIGITALINFORMATICA.COM.BR>.