Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Byron Neudesic <by...@neudesic.com> on 2012/02/08 18:42:10 UTC

UpdAdapter does not seem to be working

Hi All,
I have been attempting to use the UdpAdapter and Chainsaw to demonstrate
alternative logging methods. It does not seem that when I try to send a log
message that the UdpAdapter is actually sending messages.

 I am sending messages to the event logger, and that is just fine. I am
wondering if there are some advice I can be given to determine the possible
cause of my issues.

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit, VS 2010 Ultimate using the NET 4.0
framework.

To troubleshoot, I also installed Wireshark to have an independent tool to
determine if messages are getting sent. It registers no messages on the port
that I have selected to send the logging. I have disabled my firewall to see
if that would resolve the problem.

I am not getting any errors from the logger to indicate that I am not able
to initalize the appender. However, when I look at the appender collection
on the log instance, it shows a count of zero. This is the case even when I
successfully log to the the event log, so I am not sure if that is a
concern.

I know that UDP is not guaranteed delivery; I am OK with that. I just want
to know that I am actually sending the messages.

Here is my config for my app:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <configSections>
    <section name="log4net"
type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler,log4net" />
  </configSections>
  <appSettings>
  </appSettings>
  <log4net>
    <appender name="UdpAppender" type="log4net.Appender.UdpAppender">
      <remoteAddress value="127.0.0.1" />
      <remotePort value="13925" />
      <layout type="log4net.Layout.PatternLayout, log4net">
        <conversionPattern value="%-5level %logger [%property{NDC}] -
%message%newline" />
      </layout>
    </appender>
    <appender name="EventLogAppender"
type="log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender" >
        <conversionPattern value="%date [%thread] %-5level %logger
[%property{NDC}] - %message%newline" />
      </layout>
    </appender>
    <root>
      <level value="ALL" />
      <appender-ref ref="UdpAppender" />
      <appender-ref ref="EventLogAppender" />
    </root>
  </log4net>
</configuration>

Here is the config for Chainsaw:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration >
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/"
debug="true">
   <plugin name="UDPReceiver" class="org.apache.log4j.net.UDPReceiver">

   </plugin>
   <root>
      <level value="debug"/>
   </root>
</log4j:configuration>

Thanks in advance,
Byron

Re: UpdAdapter does not seem to be working

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.
It looks like this is an ipv6 issue with windows 7?

Looks like you can use 127.0.0.2 instead of 127.0.0.1 to get around the
issue.