Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> on 2002/04/16 00:26:52 UTC

Volunteers to get tagibs ready for 1.0 releases

A 1.0 release was done on the following taglibs:

Application, Datetime, Mailer, Page, Random, Regexp, Request, Response,
Session, and XSL.

Rich is working on getting the Scrape Taglib ready for a 1.0 release.
Morgan is working on resolving bug reports for DbTags and getting it
ready for a 1.0 release.

Are there any volunteers for getting the remaining taglibs (excluding
Standard) ready for a 1.0 release?

I can act as release manager again.

Thanks,

Glenn

Re: Volunteers to get tagibs ready for 1.0 releases

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
James Strachan wrote:

> I'll happily get io, log, jms and xtags ready for 1.0 releases.
>
> Admittedly xtags is probably going to be replaced ultimately by JSTL but it
> would be worth getting a release out the door anyways.

The Standard taglib requires JSP 1.2, so xtags will still benefit those
who have a JSP 1.1 servlet container.

Thanks,

Glenn

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> Couple of things.
>
> 1) What taglibs still open have bugs against them?
>
> I count: jndi 1 bug, i18n 2 bugs.
>
> I'm happy to volunteer for the i18n taglib unless the authors (Tim/James)
> prefer to leap on it. One of the bugs seems to be a non-bug, but needs
> investigating.

Thanks for volunteering!

> 2) String taglib isn't in bugzilla (I suspect this is why I've not been
> overwhelmed with bugs), how do I go about adding it?

Both the String Taglib and JMS Taglib have been added to bugzilla.

Here is an updated list of the remaining taglibs needing a 1.0
release and volunteers.

cache
benchmark
bsf
dbtags [morgan]
i18n [hen]
input [lance]
io [james]
jms [james]
jndi
log [james]
scrape [rich]
string [hen]
utility
xtags [james]
ultra-dev 4.0

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Couple of things.

1) What taglibs still open have bugs against them?

I count: jndi 1 bug, i18n 2 bugs.

I'm happy to volunteer for the i18n taglib unless the authors (Tim/James)
prefer to leap on it. One of the bugs seems to be a non-bug, but needs
investigating.

2) String taglib isn't in bugzilla (I suspect this is why I've not been
overwhelmed with bugs), how do I go about adding it?

Hen

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> > Also, if we're getting them ready, why does the front page say they were
> > released to 1.0 yesterday?
> >

> Each taglib is released individually, 10 of the existing taglibs had a 1.0
> release Sunday, the ones listed below.

Ack. Can I beg the end of a busy day? I've no idea why I couldn't read :)

> So which taglibs are you volunteering for?

listing the remaining taglibs:

cache
benchmark
bsf
dbtags [morgan]
i18n
input
io
jms
jndi
log
scrape [james]
string
utility
xtags

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> To make life easier for us potential volunteers. Getting a taglib ready
> for a 1.0 release entails:
>
> 1) Going through the bug reports and clearing up each one.

Yup, I would like to see a clean bugzilla bug report for the taglib
before doing the 1.0 release.

> 2) Going over the source or javadoc and ensuring it is documented fully.

Sounds good.

> 3) Raising the question as to whether a taglib is 'deprecated' by
>    Standard.

The Standard Taglib requires JSP 1.2, the original taglibs can run in
a JSP 1.1 container.  So I wouldn't say they are deprecated yet.

> 4) Testing in a 1.1 and 1.2 environment.

This would be nice.

> Anything else?

See http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/addtaglib.html#Release
for information on getting a taglib ready for release.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.