Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Pete Nelson <pe...@ci.stpaul.mn.us> on 2002/04/16 15:20:42 UTC

RE: basic authentication in apache 1.3.19 ignoring more than 8 characters in the password.

I just tested this on Apache 1.3.22 on RedHat 6.2 and Apache 1.3.24 on
Win2k, and both happily took a 19-character password
(thisisalongpassword).  I am pretty confident that it should also work
on Apache 1.3.19 on most platforms.

--
Pete Nelson, Web Developer
<pe...@ci.stpaul.mn.us>

>>> milind.sawant@skandiabank.ch 04/16/02 03:01AM >>>
Hi

I would appreciate if any one has any inputs on this.
I need a confirmation whether or not a password of more than 8
characters is
possible with "Basic Authentication"
in apache.

thanks

Milind Sawant
Web Administrator (Apollo)
TCS

+0041 1 288 4675

Posted by Milind Sawant <mi...@skandiabank.ch>.
Hi

thanks for your concern

The Basic Authentication in apache uses the htpasswd utility to generate
passwords.

A) The default option is -d ( Force CRYPT encryption of the password ) .
	you can create a password of more that 8 characters.
	But only the first 8 characters are relevant.
	as owen boyle has righly pointed out , if "xxxxxxxxYBDCDC" is your password
and on authentication
	if you supply "xxxxxxxxADBDD" as the password , you can log in.

B) Using other options like -m (MD5 encryption ) and -s (SHA encyption) dont
work.
	i can generate the password but get a password mismatch error on
authentication.

Do you have the same experience?

Milind

Milind Sawant