Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2011/07/04 12:13:53 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deft for incubation

Hi folks!

Just a dumb question: is Deft based on MINA?
And if not: would that make sense?

The thing is that I'm not sure if it would make sense to implement such a piece solely on it's own when there are existing Apache TLPs which cover 70% of the basics already.

If it technically makes sense the way it is, then I could volunteer as 3rd mentor a bit - but I'm pretty busted with work atm, so I may not have enough time to go all the way with you.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 7/4/11 6:04 PM, Roger Schildmeijer wrote:
> Thanks Mark!
>
> To continue the discussion regarding if it make sense to implement such a piece, like Deft, solely on it's own:
> Things that justifies Deft's existence (In my very humble opinion):
>   * The simplicity
>   * The learning curve (e.g compared to Apache Mina)
IMO, Deft != MINA. That Deft uses MINA, or not, should not make any
difference for the Deft users.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deft for incubation

Posted by Roger Schildmeijer <sc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mark!

To continue the discussion regarding if it make sense to implement such a piece, like Deft, solely on it's own:
Things that justifies Deft's existence (In my very humble opinion):
 * The simplicity
 * The learning curve (e.g compared to Apache Mina)
 * Small code base (manageable to new contributors)
 * Deft is not only a fast web server, it acts as a "very lightweight" application framework as well
 * An appealing alternative to well established frameworks to developers who’d like to develop “closer to the metal”
 * Avoid the baggage associated with full-fledged web frameworks

Regarding asyncweb: We've just started to look at the asyncweb project so it's too early to tell if we can reuse parts of it.

With Best Regards
Roger Schildmeijer
"I don't always use fancy buzzwords, when I do I do it properly"

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
yup Niklas, please sign me up.

txs and LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 7/5/11 12:12 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
> Sorry to interrupt this technical discussion, but I believe that now
> we are ready to go for a [VOTE] ?

Was thinking the same...

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deft for incubation

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
<no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to interrupt this technical discussion, but I believe that now
> we are ready to go for a [VOTE] ?

Agreed. I'll start a new thread.

/niklas

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deft for incubation

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Sorry to interrupt this technical discussion, but I believe that now
we are ready to go for a [VOTE] ?

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Roger Schildmeijer
<sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Been examining the asyncweb project in more details (atleast the asyncweb.client and asyncwebserver components). Below is my notes (simple draft).
>
> asyncweb notes
> -client module
> * https support for Deft's AHC (AsynchronousHttpClient) could borrow some details from asyncweb (o.a.asyncweb.client.SimpleTrustManagerFactory)
> * Improve the http request decoding (org.apache.ahc.codec.HttpDecoder, eg. decode[line, status, header, cookie])
>

> -server module
> * like the simple and elegant design of o.a.asyncweb.server.resolver.ServiceResolver (and its concrete impl., eg. PatternMatchResolver (comparable to Deft's "Capturing groups") and ExactMatchURIServiceResolver)
> * o.a.asyncweb.server.HttpClientListener (interface with callbacks clientDisconnected, clientIdle, register listeners on HttpServiceContext). I like the idea. Useful for comet/longpoll (could be worth to add to Deft).
>

> Conclusion:
> Ofcourse there are overlaps between the two projects. I agree with Emanuel Emmanuel Lécharny regarding that "It's almost as difficult to write from scratch some piece of code than to reuse some other with lost support..."
> Deft is built (tightly integrated) around the event-loop (org.deftserver.io.IOLoop) which the modules (e.g the web server component and the async http client) heavily depend upon. Asyncweb is built on top of the Apache MINA network framework and to merge these two project (asyncweb and deft) is non trivial, therefor I propose we don't. Also, I guess asyncweb was "abandoned" for a reason?
>
> With Best Regards
>
> Roger Schildmeijer
>
> On 4 jul 2011, at 18.45em, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

>>> There is no such corresponding feature in Deft, at least not at the moment :)
>>
>> In any case, I don't think that Deft *has* to use MINA, or not. It's probably something that could be discussed once the podling is accepted, and by the core developpers.
>>
>> Now, what is more important is to check how close are AsyncWeb and Deft, to see if those two project should be merged, or not, and if Deft has enough potential to be a TLP, or not.
>>
>> I'm not even sure it should be put under MINA's umbrella. I'd say it would be convenient, but has side effects. This should be discussed.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Cordialement,
>> Emmanuel Lécharny
>> www.iktek.com

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deft for incubation

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> It would be nice, very nice indeed, if this happened.  It is not a MUST.  :)
>

> Regards,
> Alan

+1 :)

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deft for incubation

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roger Schildmeijer <sc...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Yes, should be figured out while podling.

It is really just convenient if the same stuff (like Spring and CDI integration) can get re-used without having to introduce a new mechanism.

But of course, there are eventually also cons with this approach ...

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roger Schildmeijer <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roger Schildmeijer <sc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

This is absolutely not a dumb question. Deft is not based on Apache MINA.
Instead it's using raw Java NIO (without any level of
indirection/abstractions). The reason for this is basically to cut down the
overhead and to keep it as simple as possible, but still offer a flexible
api.

Would be great if you volunteered as a mentor :)

// Roger Schildmeijer

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 7/4/11 12:29 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
> Hi Mark...
>
>     As they stated in "Relationships with Other Apache Products" that
> they would consider such reuse of some of Apache Mina components. But
> IMHO, this is not the a blocking issue to go forward with the proposal
> as such technical detail can be changed while being in Incubator phase
> if it is found that components of other Apache projects can be used to
> make things better for Deft or to eliminate the dependency on non-AL
> software.
IMHO, MINA is not really the important part here. It seems to me that
the Asyncweb subproject is somehow close to what Deft is proposing. As
Asynweb is almost dormant since 2008, I would think that a merge of Deft
with Asyncweb is a good approach.

Now, as Mohammad said, it's up to the team to decide which part can be
reused, or not. It's almost as difficult to write from scratch some
piece of code than to reuse some other with lost support...

Regarding MINA, You'll most certainly get all the needed support.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deft for incubation