Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com> on 2004/01/22 18:20:47 UTC

Incubator Status Report: Axion

Sorry for the lateness.  Report follows.

- Morgan

Axion Incubation Report
-----------------------

The status file for Axion
(http://incubator.apache.org/projects/axion.html) is
up-to-date and incubation is progressing.

By the next report, we expect to have completed the
transfer from our license to the ASF license.

At present, Axion has elected to forego publishing a
website at Apache until incubation is complete.

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://axion.tigris.org

RE: Incubator Status Report: Axion

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
Ping?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Rodney,

I don't know of any specific requirement regarding proof of authorization.
If you feel that you have the authorization, sign the grant, and post a
notice to your list that you have done so.

	--- Noel

RE: Incubator Status Report: Axion

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
>
> > Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > Again, IANAL, but in lieu of an informed declaration to the contrary,
> > > I suggest that we would spend more time discussing it than it takes
> > > to have each person FAX in two documents.
>
> > There is language in the Axion license to the effect of "a majority
> > vote of committers can change the license."  That would seem to
> > help, yes?
>
> Sure.  I don't see why you can't just do what the LDAPd Group did.  Post a
> vote on your mailing list, get your majority vote in a public forum,
> authorize someone to submit the Software Grant on behalf of the Axion
> Project.

As has often been mentioned, we've already held such a vote (check the
status file for links).  Can I just authorize myself to sign the grant, or
are you asking us to take yet another vote?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Again, IANAL, but in lieu of an informed declaration to the contrary, I
> suggest that we would spend more time discussing it than it takes to have
> each person FAX in two documents.

Unless those folks have disappeared from the project.  We can try to track
them down, but there are some contributors we may not be able to get a
hold of.  There is language in the Axion license to the effect of "a

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Make sure that all of the contributors to the code submit the
appropriate
> > signed documents (http://www.apache.org/licenses/).  I know that at
least
> > some have not yet done so.  There should be information in the STATUS
file.

> As noted in the (axion.xml) status file, the axion commiters have voted
> (in public email) in favor of a move to apache.

Yes, but everyone continuing to work on the project needs to provide a
signed CLA.  Or, if a contributor is not going to continue working on the
project, a Software Grant.

> > For example, when the Directory project came in, all of the contributors
> > agreed in public e-mail to Alex Karasulu sign a Software Grant on behalf
of
> > the LDAPd Group, and then each one submitted a signed CLA.

> Is there additional paperwork required other than the submission
> of a signed CLA?

IANAL, and this really should be settled once and for all by the Board if
there are any qustions, but as I understand it we need a CLA for any entity
who will continue contributing to the code, and a Software Grant for any
entity that has an authorship right in the code being donated.  I suppose it
could be argued that just because one has a signed CLA with the ASF does not
mean that rights to other code developed elsewhere by the same author is
granted unless contributed by that author, and therefore a Software Grant is
necessary.  Whether that is strictly necessary, I don't know, but projects
have been doing so to cover the bases.

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> > By the next report, we expect to have completed
> the
> > transfer from our license to the ASF license.
>
> How long do you expect it to take to complete
> incubation?

I don't have an expectation at this point; I haven't
seen enough projects make it all the way through the
process.

=====

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> By the next report, we expect to have completed the
> transfer from our license to the ASF license.

How long do you expect it to take to complete incubation?  What do you see
as the holdups?

	--- Noel