Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by Ronald Simmons <rv...@mac.com> on 2004/04/09 12:28:01 UTC

Hivemind and Jini

Ok, so I'm new here, forgive me if this sounds like a troll.  It is not
intended to be one.

I've read the documentation and am still left wondering what the
intended design differences are between Hivemind and Jini. The
important ones I have been able to discern so far are:

1 - No hot loading of code in Hivemind
2 - No defined tuplespace engine in Hivemind
3 - Non-XML config files in Jini
4 - No multi-cast discovery mechanisms for the registry in Hivemind
5 - No (or poor) integration with J2EE in Jini
6 - Apache licensing (Hivemind) vs SCSL licensing (Jini)

I guess a place where the documentation leaves me a bit confused as
well is with regards to remote invocation of services.  Is it the case
that I could write an RMI or WS interceptor for a Hivemind service and
vend that in a Jini LUS or a WS Registry?  If I'm right there, then I
think I see how I'd use Jini, J2EE and Hivemind together.  Otherwise,
I'm extremely confused.

Thoughts?

rvs

Re: Hivemind and Jini

Posted by "Ronald V. Simmons" <Va...@TheSimmonses.Net>.
And one further follow up.  Is there a concept of leases in Hivemind
that I've missed?

Specifically, can the Registry reclaim resources being consumed by
unused services or does a service have to explicitly deregister to be
gc'd?

rvs