Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Sridhar Padiyala <sr...@yahoo.com> on 2003/08/18 09:12:07 UTC

Who are working on the JCA integration part

Hi

I am planning to involve in the development of JCA integration part.

Please help me on the status of the JCA integration part.

-Sridhar

Re: Who are working on the JCA integration part

Posted by Aditya Gore <ad...@sun.com>.
sure.

Posted by Sridhar Padiyala <sr...@yahoo.com>.
sure welcome

Re: Who are working on the JCA integration part

Posted by Sundaranathan S <sn...@siptech.co.in>.
Hi,

        I would also like to join you guys in JCA Integration.

-Sundar.

Sridhar Padiyala wrote:

> Hi Aditya Give some time, i will give my plan so that we both can work
> together

Sundaranathan S

SIP Technologies & Exports Ltd
G4, Elnet Software City,CPT Road
Taramani, Chennai 600 113
India

Phone: +91-44-22541401
       +91-44-22541031

Fax  : +91-44-22541475

Website: http://www.siptech.com

Re: Who are working on the JCA integration part

Posted by Sridhar Padiyala <sr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Aditya

Posted by Aditya Gore <ad...@sun.com>.
I'm interested. Let me know how you plan to take it up.

Re: Contribute [Was Re: Who are working on the JCA integration part]

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.
This one time, at band camp, Siva said:

S>IMO,the best way to start contributing is to read the codebase and write unit tests for it.This way you can start understanding the
S>system and help the system evolve towards a TDD.

This is a good idea with which to start. It's also what I'm doing in
order to see how the core is coming together.

BTW, I'm currently experiencing some serious problems with the network in
my house. I need to fix these issues before I can really work on anything
else so this week I'm ordering a switch to fix the problem. Once I've
worked out these issues, I'll be able to get back to work on the JCA
stuff as it is needed in order to plug in any RAs.

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Contribute [Was Re: Who are working on the JCA integration part]

Posted by Siva <si...@sivasundaram.com>.
IMO,the best way to start contributing is to read the codebase and write unit tests for it.This way you can start understanding the
system and help the system evolve towards a TDD.

Siva
     I am interested in contributing. I have added my name and I was perusing through the cvs. Can somebody let me know the current status and where I can jump in?

  Thanks.
  Kamesh

Re: Who are working on the JCA integration part

Posted by kamesh kompella <ko...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.
This one time, at band camp, Sridhar Padiyala said:

SP>I hope you started the implementation of the JCA integration, let me know the current status

I'm currently familiarizing myself with the JCA implementation in
Elba. This way I'll be more aware of the reaons behind David's decisions
for Geronimo's JCA implementation.

FYI, I'll be leaving for a short vacation tomorrow morning (20 Aug)
and returning early next week (25 Aug). I will not be checking email
through that period.

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Re: Who are working on the JCA integration part

Posted by Sridhar Padiyala <sr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Bruce Snyder

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.
This one time, at band camp, David Jencks said:

First, I invite anyone interested to visit the Volunteer-Topics page on
the wiki and put your name under the J2EE Connector Architecture topic:

    http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheJ2EE/Volunteers-Topics

Second, I think that David should probably lead this effort as he has
extensive experience from the JBoss project.

I need to learn more about the interceptor stack in Geronimo. Please
see my comments below:

DJ>Based on my experience implementing and maintaining the JBoss JCA
DJ>support, I have  a couple of strong recommendations.
DJ>
DJ>1. Adapter supplied components (ManagedConnectionFactory,
DJ>ResourceAdapter, ActivationSpec and Administered Object at least)
DJ>should be deployed as ModelMBeans.  In JBoss I did this by generating
DJ>xmbean descriptors from ra.xml using xsl.  This seems to be too
DJ>complicated to maintain, so I hope there is a simpler approach.

I agree that all adapter components should be ModelMBeans because they can
be easily configured on the fly. What about using the XDoclet jmxdoclet
to generate the MBean interfaces and we just extend XDoclet to provide
support for the generation of the ra.xml?

DJ>2. ConnectionManager should be implemented as an interceptor stack.
DJ>The interceptor needs "getConnection" and "returnConnection" methods.
DJ>Here is a very rough sketch of a possible stack of interceptors:
DJ>
DJ>Top (implements ConnectionManager, deals with finding the correct stack
DJ>upon deserialization)
DJ>|
DJ>Method call connection handle caching.  Part of support for hooking up
DJ>a connection handle to an appropriate ManagedConnection upon a new call
DJ>with a different security context.  Also will probably support
DJ>enrolling existing connection (handles) in a new Transaction started
DJ>through UserTransaction.
DJ>
DJ>|
DJ>
DJ>Transaction level ManagedConnection caching.  This is definitely
DJ>required for LocalTransaction support and seems to be required for all
DJ>XA drivers as well despite the XA spec.  getConnection looks for a
DJ>connection associated with the current transaction (and security
DJ>context and ConnectionRequestInfo), returnConnection calls the next
DJ>interceptor only if there is no transaction.
DJ>
DJ>|
DJ>
DJ>Pooling.  getConnection looks in the pool for an appropriate
DJ>connection, returnConnection tries to put the connection back in the
DJ>pool.  Only if these fail is the next interceptor called.
DJ>
DJ>|
DJ>
DJ>Default.  getConnection creates a new connection, returnConnection
DJ>destroys it.

I need to dig into the Geronimo interceptor stack more to see exactly
what's happening and how we'll work with it.

DJ>I have the copyright on the (initial) WorkManager implementation from
DJ>JBoss 4/Elba and am happy to donate the code to Geronimo, although I
DJ>still don't understand clearly if this is allowed.  In any case it is
DJ>fairly simple code.
DJ>
DJ>I still don't have any very satisfactory ideas on deploying an inbound
DJ>adapter: this will depend to some extent on how ejbs/mdbs are deployed.

I'm not sure how this has been implemented. We need to take a peek at
the deployment code.

DJ>Although I was hoping to be implementing these ideas by now, I don't
DJ>have any time right now and it is not clear when I will be able to work
DJ>on this.

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Re: Who are working on the JCA integration part

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.
This one time, at band camp, James Strachan said:

JS>On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 06:09  pm, Bruce Snyder wrote:
JS>
JS>> This one time, at band camp, James Strachan said:

JS>> from
JS>> although I
JS>> it is
JS>> JS>
JS>> JS>If you are the sole copyright of some code you should be able to
JS>> add it
JS>> JS>to Geronimo if you want to, providing it gets relicenced as ASF.
JS>>
JS>> And what about the case where somebody is a co-copyright holder?
JS>
JS>All the copyright holders need to agree to contribute the code and
JS>submit CLAs to Apache.
JS>
JS>(Warning, lots of Exolabs stuff is copyrighted to Exoffice in the
JS>licence at the top of the file, so you'd need them to allow it)

Yes, I'm aware of this and I have no idea if any progress was made toward
this effort.

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Re: Who are working on the JCA integration part

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 06:09  pm, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, James Strachan said:
>

> JS>On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 02:13  pm, David Jencks wrote:
> JS>
> JS>> I have the copyright on the (initial) WorkManager implementation
> from
> JS>> JBoss 4/Elba and am happy to donate the code to Geronimo,
> although I
> JS>> still don't understand clearly if this is allowed.  In any case
> it is
> JS>> fairly simple code.
> JS>
> JS>If you are the sole copyright of some code you should be able to
> add it
> JS>to Geronimo if you want to, providing it gets relicenced as ASF.
>
> And what about the case where somebody is a co-copyright holder?

All the copyright holders need to agree to contribute the code and
submit CLAs to Apache.

(Warning, lots of Exolabs stuff is copyrighted to Exoffice in the
licence at the top of the file, so you'd need them to allow it)

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Who are working on the JCA integration part

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@snappydsl.net>.

------------------

I have the copyright on the (initial) WorkManager implementation from
JBoss 4/Elba and am happy to donate the code to Geronimo, although I
still don't understand clearly if this is allowed.  In any case it is
fairly simple code.

I still don't have any very satisfactory ideas on deploying an inbound
adapter: this will depend to some extent on how ejbs/mdbs are deployed.

Although I was hoping to be implementing these ideas by now, I don't
have any time right now and it is not clear when I will be able to work
on this.

thanks
* David Jencks
* Partner