Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Egeste <eg...@egeste.net> on 2009/12/07 22:14:19 UTC

tomcat, uPortal, error messages and confusion

I've recently been trying to implement uPortal on my debian linux
server running the following binaries:

tomcat5.5
maven2
ant 1.7.1

Again, attempting to deploy uPortal version 3.0.4

in communication with the uPortal mailing list, I was advised to seek
advice from this group regarding the following thread:

==BEGIN uPortal THREAD==

If you stop tomcat (kill if needed), clear out all your logs, rm -rf
work/Catalina/localhost, and start tomcat, what do you see in your
logs? also, there is a chance that you don't have tomcat configured to
autodeploy, which could be the reason for no response (it isn't
deploying uPortal etc. and/or compiling the jsps etc. and putting them
in the work/... dir).

If you are new to tomcat, you might also want to check out the tomcat-
users list and ask there to get up to speed with Tomcat first:
http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html

Unfortunately even though uPortal uses Tomcat, admining Tomcat is not
the point of this list. :( Wish I could be of better help.

Thanks,
Gary

Egeste wrote:
> Gary, thank you for your advice.
>
> I had not run the deployPortletApp task. After running the task and
> restarting tomcat, no new errors were generated in catalina.log,
> however browsing to localhost on port 8080 returns 0 bytes, or
> localhost:8080/uPortal returns a tomcat 404 message, and i cant seem
> to locate any portal.log file.
>
> Following this I proceeded with step 2, changing the ownership of
> tomcat_home/webapps and tomcat_home/logs to tomcat55 (the user
> tomcat runs as), as well as deleting tomcat_home/work/Catalina/
> localhost. Once again, after restarting tomcat I get a 0 byte
> response from localhost:8080 and a tomcat 404 from localhost:8080/
> uPortal. Again, no portal.log is created.
>
> Is there any more insight anyone could shed on this?
>
> Thanks in advance
> -Steve
>
> On Dec 7, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Gary Weaver wrote:
>
>> As a correction for solution to issue 2, I meant a recursive chown
>> (it is unlikely that the files themselves have wrong attributes, so
>> chmod prob not needed).
>>
>> Gary Weaver wrote:
>>> Issue 1:
>>>
>>> Did you use uPortal to deploy your portlet via the ant/maven task?
>>> Looking at your web.xml I don't see the part that is automatically
>>> generated by that process.
>>>
>>> That "plutofication" process will add portlet.tld to the deployed
>>> portlet (webapp) and will modify (add some XML to) web.xml (using
>>> your portlet.xml).
>>>
>>> While you *can* include these changes yourself in the portlet
>>> without going through uPortal, it is highly recommended by the
>>> uPortal developers to use the deployPortletApp process instead
>>> because it includes the portlet.tld and web.xml changes that are
>>> specific for the version of the Apache Pluto that uPortal uses.
>>>
>>> Issue 2:
>>>
>>> Looks like you have some permissions issues. If possible do a
>>> recursive chmod to add read and write rights to the user/group
>>> that Tomcat is running as on your (tomcat home)/webapps directory,
>>> do the same for your (tomcat home)/logs and you might want to
>>> remove (rm -rf) (tomcat home)/work/Catalina/localhost directory
>>> just in case it compiled some stuff as a diff user if you ran
>>> Tomcat as one user and then later as another user.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Gary

>> --- You are currently subscribed to uportal-user@lists.ja-sig.org
>> as: egeste@egeste.net
>>

> ---You are currently subscribed to uportal-user@lists.ja-sig.org as: gary.weaver@duke.edu

--- You are currently subscribed to uportal-user@lists.ja-sig.org as: egeste@egeste.net

==END THREAD==

I've read through much of the documentation in my learning process
attempting to deploy this app, but have not come across anything that
has jumped out as a feasible or probable solution or coherent
definition of the problem I'm experiencing. At this point I no longer
have any error logs to interpret and would appreciate any guidance.

-Steve

RE: tomcat, uPortal, error messages and confusion

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Egeste [mailto:egeste@egeste.net]
> Subject: Re: tomcat, uPortal, error messages and confusion
>
> To clarifty, do you want the web.xml and context.xml files
> before or after I build the war file?

We don't want to see Tomcat's conf/web.xml and conf/context.xml files, we want to see the ones from your webapp - they're in WEB-INF/web.xml and META-INF/context.xml inside the webapp.  It's whatever you give to Tomcat as part of the webapp deployment.

 - Chuck

Re: tomcat, uPortal, error messages and confusion

Posted by Egeste <eg...@egeste.net>.
Chuck,
	Thank you for volunteering assistance. To clarifty, do you want the

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Egeste [mailto:egeste@egeste.net]
> Subject: Re: tomcat, uPortal, error messages and confusion
>
> to localhost:8080. However, I still only see a 404 message when
> I browse to localhost:8080/uPortal.

Look in the Tomcat logs (assuming you can find them) for any pertinent error messages; it's possible that uPortal did not deploy properly.  Tomcat's built-in manager app will tell you what webapps are active.  Check that the Tomcat uid has access to the webapps/uPortal directory, and that said directory contains one of the three welcome files specified in its WEB-INF/web.xml file.

Also, enable the AccessLogValve in conf/server.xml to see what's really coming in.

 - Chuck

Re: tomcat, uPortal, error messages and confusion

Posted by Egeste <eg...@egeste.net>.
Chuck,
	Thanks again for all your help with this. After following your
instructions and restarting tomcat, i know see my index.html when I
browse to localhost:8080. However, I still only see a 404 message when
I browse to localhost:8080/uPortal. Any further suggestions?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Egeste <eg...@egeste.net>.
As for the mangled ubuntu version, tomcat_home is /usr/share/
tomcat5.5, here is the directory listing
total 20
drwxr-xr-x   5 root root 4096 Dec  9 00:35 .
drwxr-xr-x 121 root root 4096 Dec  9 00:37 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Dec  9 00:35 bin
drwxr-xr-x   6 root root 4096 Dec  9 00:35 common
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   14 Dec  9 00:35 conf -> /etc/tomcat5.5
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   16 Dec  9 00:35 doc -> ../doc/tomcat5.5
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   23 Dec  9 00:35 logs -> /var/lib/tomcat5.5/
logs
drwxr-xr-x   5 root root 4096 Dec  9 00:37 server
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   25 Dec  9 00:35 shared -> /var/lib/
tomcat5.5/shared
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   23 Dec  9 00:35 temp -> /var/lib/tomcat5.5/
temp
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   26 Dec  9 00:35 webapps -> /var/lib/
tomcat5.5/webapps
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   23 Dec  9 00:35 work -> /var/lib/tomcat5.5/
work

Here is my updated web.xml on pastebin, hopefully easier to read =).
http://pastebin.ca/1708600

Here is the directory listing for tomcat_home/webapps
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 tomcat55 root 4096 Dec  9 00:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root     root 4096 Dec  9 00:35 ..
drwxr-xr-x 6 root     root 4096 Dec  9 00:12 uPortal

Again, the issue is blank pages navigating to localhost:8080 and
tomcat 404 when navigating to localhost:8080/uPortal

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Egeste <eg...@egeste.net>.
I'm unsure whether it's an "ubuntu mangled" version - I installed
tomcat5.5 via apt-get.

uname -a:
Linux ******* 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.028stab060.8PAE #1 SMP Mon Feb 9
22:32:30 MSK 2009 i686 GNU/Linux