Posted to dev@livy.apache.org by Bikas Saha <bi...@apache.org> on 2017/09/06 20:30:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Cadence

Hi,

We just did our first release and hopefully have ironed out the release mechanics and also provided users a transition point to move over their dependencies to ASF.

I think now would be a good time to figure out our release mechanics.

IMO time based release mechanics have worked out well for projects like Apache Spark. Regular releases allow for timely updates with bug fixes for increased stability. Also, they reduce unnecessary angst around features making into release because there is always the next timely release to latch on to in case the current release is missed.

Are there other things to consider? E.g. making a concurrent release (even if its ad-hoc) to match Apache Spark releases because there is a strong dependency on the project. That would depend on whether we depend/integrate with new features in that Spark release.

Thanks
Bikas

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Cadence

Posted by Alex Bozarth <aj...@us.ibm.com>.
Sounds good to me, I'm working on fleshing out documentation and adding
javadocs, but that's more of an improvement than a feature.

 Alex Bozarth
 Software Engineer
 Spark Technology Center

 E-mail: ajbozart@us.ibm.com
 GitHub: github.com/ajbozarth
                                                                   505 Howard Street
                                                             San Francisco, CA 94105
                                                                       United States

From:	Bikas Saha <bi...@outlook.com>
To:	"dev@livy.incubator.apache.org" <de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
Date:	09/07/2017 04:23 PM
Subject:	Re: [DISCUSS] Release Cadence

Hi,

If 3 months is agreeable then November would be on the plate. I think the
shared context across languages is a super useful user feature that could
be released. Any other features that could go in for that time frame?

Bikas

________________________________
From: Bikas Saha <bi...@outlook.com>
To: "dev@livy.incubator.apache.org" <de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
Date: 09/06/2017 02:01 PM

________________________________

Hi,

4 months might be too long for a relatively new project like Livy. And
doing a release in December might not be easy with that being holiday
season in many places.

I was thinking of following Spark's history of 3 month releases initially.
That provides about 2 months of feature development work followed by 1
month of time to start a release, go through bug fixes and finish the
process. To be clear, that would be for major releases like 0.5, 0.6 etc.

If sufficient bug fixes accumulate much earlier than that then a minor bug
fix release could be done ahead of time, like you suggest. Specially if
these end up being security fixes.

Bikas

________________________________
From: Bikas Saha <bi...@apache.org>
To: "dev@livy.incubator.apache.org" <de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
Date: 09/06/2017 01:42 PM
Subject: [DISCUSS] Release Cadence

________________________________

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Cadence

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@outlook.com>.
Hi,

If 3 months is agreeable then November would be on the plate. I think the shared context across languages is a super useful user feature that could be released. Any other features that could go in for that time frame?

Bikas

________________________________
I'm ok with 3 months, and I agree about the December issue, would you suggest a November release then or wait until January?

Alex Bozarth
Software Engineer
Spark Technology Center
________________________________

E-mail: ajbozart@us.ibm.com<ma...@us.ibm.com>
GitHub: github.com/ajbozarth<https://github.com/ajbozarth>

505 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
United States

[Inactive hide details for Bikas Saha ---09/06/2017 02:01:26 PM---Hi, 4 months might be too long for a relatively new project li]Bikas Saha ---09/06/2017 02:01:26 PM---Hi, 4 months might be too long for a relatively new project like Livy. And doing a release in Decemb

From: Bikas Saha <bi...@outlook.com>
To: "dev@livy.incubator.apache.org" <de...@livy.incubator.apache.org>
Date: 09/06/2017 02:01 PM

________________________________